It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:49 pm 

Having been brewing and using compost tea since spring, it has occurred to me to ask whether I should continue applying it as the weather turns cooler.

Here in Kingsville it seldom really gets cold (tonight's forcast is for 39, the coldest so far this fall), and on those rare occasions that it freezes, it normally rises at least into the 50's the next day.

As plants go dormant, is there any benefit to foliar spraying or soil drenching with CT, or should I wait for spring to again "anoint" my plants?

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:51 pm 

I'm still making aerated teas loaded with grain meals, rotten fish, and dry molasses, as a foliar and soil drench on my cover crops, and on my winter greens that I eat.

In theory, you can make non-aerated teas any time temperatures are above 40 degrees F. All teas have soluble nutrients in them, thus the liquid plant fertilizer effect.

However, for the maximum benefit of aerobic bacteria and fungi in aerated teas, you shouldn't go no lower than 50 degrees F, according to compost tea experts from www.intlctc.org.

Our temperatures right now in my area, are in the low 30's in the morning and high 50's in the midday. I still aerated my teas, even though it may not be helping much right now with these cool fall temperatures. I just like the idea of growing microbes in teas, to put on my garden, even if it's not necessarily the best ones that can be grown right now.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:26 am 

I stopped using aerated compost tea last week. The high temps. are only in the low 30's now and will stay that way until March!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 8:20 am 

Hey, RDak! Great to see you on this web site!
You're an awesome aerobic composter and tea brewer!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:37 am 

Hey Captain and thanks! However, no one compares to you Captain! Well, maybe Dr. Ingham. LOL.

Btw, our long winter season has started. BUMMER!!!