It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: moving compost pile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:43 pm 

Is it okay to move a compost pile from "here to there"? Today, I had to moved it just about 3 feet. I had the pile for a year and two months now. When I moved it, the spot where it was was already composted. I saw plenty of rollies, grubs, and some earthworms. And the soil felt nice and cool and rich. It smelled like fresh soil. Do I need to start over,or keep it going?

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:32 pm 

Keep it going

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:35 am 

I have two piles, one finished and one "in process" :) This past weekend I put my finished pile into my veggie garden. My plan was to start a new pile on the same spot since the "micro herd" is already established there. One of my Sweeties patients started a gardenia bush for her before passing away. We had been trying to figure out the best place for this special plant for quite some time now, it spent the winter mostly indoors. While moving the compost pile and seeing all the large earth worms I decided to leave a couple of inches of compost and plant right in the center of where the pile was. I live in the sandy part of Arlington, and while I was digging the hole I found that there was nice black organic matter 5 inches down into the soil. I think the bush is going to be very happy there. I know the Robins have been very interested in scratching through the left over compost. Now my new problem is where to put the new pile :)