It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: PARASITES!!!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:24 am 

We are invaded by LICE,SCABIES, and more!! Thanks to a "friendly neighbor" who came to my brand new home to introduce herself and children to my family. Kids played together for a week, THEN she told us that her child had lice. (She conveniently left out the other two louse, ie body lice andcrab lice,) scabies, bedbugs, fleas and more!!
We have used all the present commercial products, along with Doctor's prescriptions, professional extermination, etc. I am soooooooooo unhappy...my dream home has become aliving nightmare.
Please share experiences, and any alternative treatments you may be aware of! :(

Post subject: I feel for you...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:09 am 

I feel for you....my daughter used to come home with head lice at least once a year...you know how girls will share clothes, hats, brushes...
Sometimes they were harder to get rid of than others. I learned to keep an eye out. It's easier if you catch it fast. An important thing to remember is, whatever you do to treat them, you need to do it again in 7-10 days to the kids and the house. And remember to wash everything!! What can't be washed, I'd run through the dryer on high for 20 minutes. Some of her stuffed animals ended up looking funny but it was that or through them out! If it couldn't even go it the dryer, seal it in plastic for a month. And I used the kits that came with the spray for the beds and sofas. I never tried any 'natural' remedies, so I don't have any organic suggestions, other than going through the head thoroughly with the fine tooth comb every night...which we did anyway.
Good luck...you just have to keep treating every 7-10 days until they're gone. And when they finally are gone, keep a watchful eye out. It's a much easier fight if you catch it early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 2:04 pm 

Don't panic and stay away from the toxic chemicals. The orange oil products can be sprayed around the house and added to the clothes washing water. Have the kids and anyone else with the prolem rinse themselves completely with apple cider vinegar at the end of showers and baths.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:06 pm 

A friend of mine told me her neices and nephews had lice and then "shared" them with her family. She swears by Tea Tree oil, she did say it was strong and would be VERY drying so only use a little. I don't know what ratio. Tea Tree oil has a very strong medicinal smell and if the Orange oil products work as well I would choose those personally. I add Tea Tree oil to my organic dish washing liquid as a germ etc. killer. I use the dilution ratio per an organic housecleaning book I borrowed from the Library. I don't know the exact name, but if you would like I will add it to the discussion tomorrow. Try not to stress...I know it's difficult :? . You will get rid of these little visitors! You might want to buy extra product and douse the neighbors as well! I'm sure others on your street would pitch in to de-louse the....um...louses

Post subject: Tree Tea Oil for Lice
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:01 am 

Hi Shelly and thanks for the info. It is certainly worth looking into, and I want to be armed to the teeth in the event that these critters are still lurking about, or ever return!!
:wink: :!: