It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: For the birds ??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:28 pm 

Just finished studying the wealth of info in this great site.

I started today to see what my local feed stores might carry as I haven't been able to find an organic savy place in McAllen yet.

One owner of a feed store took me by suprise when he told me that he's seen yards treated with cornmeal "picked apart by grackles" and molasses treated lawns "feasted upon by roaches and possums". :shock:

I sure haven't heard this before, however I did have to resort to feeding my dog indoors as the grackles sure would make a mess as they scarfed any leftover dogfood in my porch.

Has anyone had any experience like this ? I'm looking forward to starting an organic program on my lawn and garden beds.

Thanks !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:07 pm 

I have never heard of this before. He is probably just trying to convince you to purchase the nasty chemicals and leave the organic ones alone. Please don't listen to him and start your organic program. The sooner you start the sooner your lawn, shrubs and garden will improve. Remember that converting to organics will not show improvement over night. As was stated in a different post, this is not a race but rather a journey. Don't expect to see improvements immediately. It takes a while for the organic amendents to improve the soil, but believe us, it does work. You will have to water your grass less often, as long as you water deep. Also you will not have to worry if you over fertilizer. Organic fertilizer does not burn your grass like chemical fertilizer will, when over applied. It is also much healthier to the soil and our environment.

Post subject: the birds
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:17 pm 

The only time you might have a problem with birds & cornmeal is if you get whole ground meal that is too coarse. If you use horticultural cornmeal as a fungicide & corn gluten meal as a pre-emergent/fertilizer, you should have no problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:43 pm 

Thanks for the speedy replies! I was fairly certain he was a bit hystrionic. I have some questions on times and frequencies of application of organics but will make a new thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:38 am 

I recently applied 3000lbs of CGM on 4+ acres. We do not have grackles in the area, but we do have plenty of birds. I did not have more birds on the turf than normal. I have also done a couple of molasses applications at 1 gallon of molasses/acre and have not noticed any increase of bugs. When I see the squirrels bouncing around on the turf it gives me a good feeling to know that I am no longer harming them with chemicals :D

Just make sure you follow the directions and water the amendments in well after applying, and you should not have a problem.