It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:04 am 

I have just had all my grass removed, front and back. The grass that was there before was primarily bermuda. My intent is to have St. Augustine in the front, where there are two trees and plenty of shade, and then bermuda in the back where there really is no shade at all. The only thing seperating the two is a section of fence, about 5-6'. Is this a good idea? I figure the bermuda won't creep onto the St. Augustine (since it isn't too happy about the shade), but I'm concerned the St. Augustine may creep into the backyard somehow. Also, the recommended mowing measurements are different (about 1" for bermuda, 2-3" for st. augustine). What would be an appropriate mowing depth to try and make these two not look too much out of place?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:58 am 

They should look out of place from each other. That recommeded mowing height for bermuda is the MAXIMUM height. That recommended mowing height for St Augustine is the MINIMUM.

Bermuda loves to be mowed at 1/2 inch high with a sharp, reel mower.

St Augustine loves to be mowed at 4-6 inches high with a sharp, rotary mower.

You are right about the bermuda not moving into the shade but the St Augustine will move into the sunny part. If you keep the bermuda mowed short it will just look weedy (with the St Augustine looking like the coarse growing weed). If you start to mow the bermuda high, the St Augustine will choke it out. Then you will look uniform front and back.

Hindsight is often 20/20, but in retrospect, I don't think you needed to pull out your existing grass. St Augustine will take over if you treat it right.