It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:52 pm 

Sometimes it is hard to find the info. you need; keep searching. The link below will help.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=204

ACT will work fine with a hose-end sprayer (make sure all solid materials are screened out). Too little won't hurt, too much (per gal. etc.) is not possible with any hose-end sprayer that I am familiar with. A hose-end sprayer doesn't hold much; I would use a sprinkling can device which would probably be much quicker. There are devices that mix a product with water from your hose. You place the product in a bucket, put the device hose into the bucket, attach each end to the hose/faucet & spray away. I've seen these at the big box stores.

Post subject: DONE!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:01 pm 

Well after waiting out the weather and a little sweat equity, I now have a new front lawn! It was neither as easy or hard as I thought it might be, but it was time-consuming. I am a little worried about the second half... it sat on the pallet for a week due to the rain and my work schedule. You can see in the pics(I hope they show) where the dividing point is. It's all green then little patches of yellow start showing up. If this Zoysia is as hearty as they say, it should have no trouble bouncing back. And once I roll it, hopefully the joints will be less noticeable.

I want to thank all of those who have helped me with my questions, mainly Tricky Grama. I appreciate it very much.
Well, hopefully here's the pics.

Lookit' that corner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:57 am 

Beautiful! I bet it does great. Great pics too. Love the area around the tree-what kind of tree? (Is the root flare exposed? :) )

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:25 pm 

I was told by my neighbor that it was a paper birch, or something to that effect. I inherited it when I bought the house, along with the shade that caused the death of the Bermuda that was once here. :)

I'm not sure what you mean by root flare, but when the previous owner put in that shrub bed, he raised it up by bringing in topsoil(according to the same neighbor). That's why in the one picture it seems that the roots are exposed.

As you can tell, I know nothing about gardening, plants, etc... :oops: I just started learning because I wanted a nice green, carpeted lawn instead of the sparse, dirt here/grass there eye-sore that the Bermuda had become.

At first I was tempted to cut it down(the tree, that is), but I have grown accustomed to the sounds of the birds in the morning, and the reduction of direct sunlight in the afternoon/evening. I guess I will have to keep it trimmed, though, because even Zoysia can't take too much shade.

Thanks once again for helping me when all others wouldn't. It was and is greatly appreciated. I plan on being completely organic in my lawn care, so as I learn more about it, I hope I'll be able to help another newbie as much as you've helped me. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:24 am 

The way your lawn looks now I'm sure you'll have newbies ask YOU now you did it!

If you are concerned about the root flare, look on this website's home page & you'll see the proper way the flare should look. I mentioned it in my earlier post almost to make a joke-it seems all of us are constantly preoccupied w/root flares! It's just the single most important thing insuring a tree's health. (Almost)

Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:52 pm 

Well, its been 2 months since I laid the last slab, and I just wanted to share how its coming along. Heres 3 pics taken about 2 weeks ago. Lookin' pretty good wouldn't you say? And it's all been done organically, no chems whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:10 am 

Beautiful! Just beautiful.

Patty