It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Black Willows in lake
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:09 pm 

I live on a small lake outside Lawton and have some Black Willows at waters edge. No problem with them but there is also an area where Black Willows are growing out of the shallow water like weeds. Sometime when the lake is low they are on dry ground but I would like to get rid of them. How do I do that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:46 pm 

I have 2 ponds. My larger pond has 6 willows around it. They drain my pond every year. My second pond has not dried up in the 5 years that we have been here. The only difference is the willows. We have taken the chain saw to them. We then keep following up with pruning shears to cut back the succors. I am reluctant to put a toxin on them because of the pond. I have been pruning all this year to no avail. I have drilled holes in the stump and filled them with dried molasses to activate the microbes and hasten the stump demise. So far the root system has enough energy to send up new succors. I still prune hoping that persistance wins the day. If not I may have to fill the holes with vine and stump killer. I have heard that filling the holes with the stump killer will prevent it from leaching into the pond.

If anyone can weigh in on this, please do so.

bugmomof6