It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bermuda infestation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 4:36 pm 

Here you can see that bermuda grass is slowly taking over the monkey grass. Most of our beds are becoming infested with bermuda grass. I've spent entire days pulling this stuff and almost no noticeable difference from afar. Days later it will spring back in full force. I try my best to pull as many runners as possible. What should I do?
I'm thinking of spraying 20% vinegar over the infested areas and pulling them when they are dead. Then apply more vinegar to kill most of the remaining bermuda. I'll mow over the remaining bermuda and cover it with several layers of newspaper. Any advice would help, is this the right thing to do? -Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:22 pm 

Ziroth,

You are on the right path. As you have found Bermuda grass is an aggressive and tenacious plant. Physical removal is almost always required. The vinegar may give you some relief, but the Bermuda spreads below the soil surface also. Once you have it somewhat controlled then the layers of newspaper topped with mulch will help you slow the spread. I can't tell if these are beds, but a physical barrier which extends below surface and the aggressive use of a weed eater will also help to provide some relief.

You may also use the Search function as this topic has been discussed before to find other's thoughts and ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:16 pm 

Hey thanks Mr. Clean. There actually is a metal barrier, but I'm not exactly sure how deep it goes. I am aware the grass does grow below the surface, but if the those "sub-surface" runners are deprived of their sunlight from the leaves long enough they would die would they not?

Ziroth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:25 pm 

you could use poast and oil if you werent doing strictly an organic program!

so maybe try the vinegar with an ornamental oil,,,,,you shouldnt have any problem with the liriope getting burned but try a small spot before you cook down the whole bed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:09 am 

Poast and oil... I don't get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:15 pm 

I have bermuda grass runners totally covering my well pump like a vine. So I don't think any kind of brick or stone barrier will stop it. But I like it. I know a lot of people complain about Bermuda taking over mulch beds, but name me a grass that doesn't. Bermuda is so easy to pull up too.