It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Shasta Daisy Problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:42 pm 

:( Have 2 Shasta Daisy clumps in full sun in a raised bed in front of my house. This is the 2nd summer for them, having planted them last year, and they've done fine until a few days ago. 1 looked like something had sat down in the middle off one clump and all the flower stems were pushed to the outside and were losing their dark green color. This morning, the other clump looked the same way. They both havea heavy layer of compost, about a 2 inch thick layer of cedar mulch, get around 3/4 inch water every week, and are sprayed with Garrett juice every 2 weeks.
The only difference in the past few days from previously is that we have been in the 100's for daily temperature, but last summer it was even hotter and it didn't affect them. ASnyone have any idea on what could be wrong and what I need to do? I sure don't want to lose them.
Thanks for any help!! Oh, I live in North Texas (Wichita Falls).

Post subject: shasta daisy problem
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 2:30 pm 

I wonder if you are being too nice to them.
Stick your finger in the soil, & see if it's moist. If so, let it dry out a little.
The other thing that I can think of, from my own experience living next door to people who don't keep their dog in their own yard, is that something...sat in the middle of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:54 pm 

I have had trouble with a container planting of Shasta Daisies this season. After the first blooms were spent, I pinched them back, and they haven't bloomed since. They are in an excellent hand mixed (my own recipe) soil base and left to dry out between waterings. :?