It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:00 pm 

What ornamentals are good for full sun and what for nearly all shade. The north side of my house has trees and is total shade, but no grass. Part of the back no shade. Plan to plant a tree up front to shade the front of the house and one in back to shade the back porch and some of the yare. Back area faces south. Any suggestions for type of trees? I was thinking red oak or pecan as they seem to survive drought conditions fairly well. Also as for wash water, we have the low volume washer, so do not use much water for washing clothes, and are very happy with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:19 am 

In my message on the lawn board, I mentioned Lantana. In the big country area, Lantana is not a wimpy peice of foliage with a few flowers. It is large round bushes of blooms. It looks good until winter. Then chop it off and compost it. It will be back next year. It will do well in your full sun areas even during drought.

Check out the local nurseries for ornamental grasses. Many fountain grasses do well there.

You will have fantastic rusults with Cannas and Irises as well. They will look better than they do in other parts of the country.

Most of all plant annuals. Petunias, Pentas and Vincas will produce better flora in Abilene than they do in more humid places (I don't know why). I would wrestle a bear to get my annuals in Plano to look like the ones I had in Winters. One warning, don't waste your time with impatens. They don't hold up well there. Part shade is better suited by pentas, lysianthus and begonias.

As for Trees & Shrubs: Red Oak and live Oak are great but be certain you don't plant them too deep. They are both unforgiving in that soil. My favorite for the area is mesquite. If that sounds strange, drive around the residential sections of town. You will see that Mesquite gets huge there and looks fantastic. Mimosa's do well but are terribly invasive. Now if you want a full thick shady tree live oak and pecan are both fantastic choices. But you will have a difficult time growing grass under them. Live oak never loose all there leaves in Abilene. Pecans produce large ammounts there as well so, plant burkett and enjoy the bounty. Purple Sage will do very well. Many varieties of Holly make wonderfull hedges and ornamentals. The transpecos varieties are very drought resistant and look great year round. Many people in the area use crepe myrtle as a hedge. Crepe myrtle will do very well. Box woods will need more water than the rest but will still preform well.

One other thing you must try is a little bit of cacti. Abilene is home to some fantastic western gardens. The only natives are Prickly Pear & Bear Grass. But many exotics do well there.

Which part of town are you in and are you in a high low or flat spot? There are problems in Abilene with stormwater runoff. Be sure and consider that.

About the wash water, when the city goes on water restrictions, any little bit helps. When you put your mind to it, you can come up with plenty of ways to keep your plants alive. Also the locals are no dunces when it comes to irrigating. You will find some pretty ingenious systems there. More arid climates bring out good Ideas (mother necessity).

Have fun there. And be sure to talk to the County agent. The ag extension office will be very helpful. One last thing: go to "The Shed" in Wingate and eat a ribeye for me. The big country is home to good food and friendly natives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:28 pm 

Bad news, The Shed has closed. Do not know why, I think the owners got older and decided to retire. That is more quess than anything. We are on Sayles and about 2 miles from downtown, so no big worry about storm water. Thanks for the help!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:31 pm 

Good news,

Joe Allen's dooks a fine steak as well.

Your lot should be on a fair amount of nice sandy brown topsoil. Your set. You can make the most of your lot using Oleander, the trees we already talked about, and any kind of shrub (Purple sage will preform even if I'm wrong about your soil).

If you like the western garden idea, it will work because of the great drainage. There are a few houses on your street close to McMurray University that have fantastic succulents and impressive yuccas.

If your front trees are super shady, try caladiums mixed with colea. And St. Augustine is the only grass that stands a chance. But you should really get creative with a busy shade garden because even St Augustine will have some trouble. I had good luck with wysteria in the shade too. I had it on an arbor and on an old six foot stump. I also enjoyed sweet williams in spring & early summer.

For the back, any oak will grow super slowly. So use them if you want a pretty little tree. If you want some scale, you will be pleased with the pecan. The mesquites and mimosas would do well as an ornamental and your grass will grow right up to them. Just keep those beans cleaned up.

The Lantana and oleander will be great in full sun. And flowers will do great. I had several large lantana bushes with shepherds hooks in them holding hanging baskets of petunias and vincas. It was the best full sun I could have had.

Enjoy that place. The other BBQ place you have to try is Harolds. Its close to downtown and a good lunch run when your in court.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:53 pm 

Thanks for the info. Ronnie Ingle's BBQ is not bad and there is always Perini's for steaks too. I think Joe Allen still has the best ribs though. Thanks again for all your suggestions!!!!