It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 11:56 pm 

Does anyone know of using these as groundcovers in between stepping stones in the Dallas area? I saw these at www.stepables.com and love them! ....Just wondering if anyone has any experience and might know how they'd do or if there are any problems associated with them. ....Couldn't find any info in Howards books. Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 2:21 pm 
QuestGirl wrote:
Does anyone know of using these as groundcovers in between stepping stones in the Dallas area? I saw these at www.stepables.com and love them! ....Just wondering if anyone has any experience and might know how they'd do or if there are any problems associated with them. ....Couldn't find any info in Howards books. Thanks! :)

I've grown another related annual species of Laurentia (blue star) in this area a number of times and it really depends on what the summer heat is like. It usually looks good until it starts to get really hot (early, mid-summer). The flowers are beautiful, but it never seems to last the way I would want it to! It needs good drainage. You could give this creeping species a try in say a morning sun, afternoon shade spot that doesn't stay too wet. I would plant it in early fall to let it get a decent root system on it before frost.

If you do plant them, let me know how it goes!

Post subject: Thank You!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:04 pm 

Hi Leslie! Thank you so much for the tip! I'm thinking that where I'm wanting to plant them does actually get a lot of afternoon shade, so maybe it'll work. Glad to know too that I can plant them this fall!

Thanks again! :)