It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Holly Hedge has to GO
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:10 am 

I recently bought a house built in 1975. There is a hedge of the most prickly holly right up against the house. It runs about 20 feet, and is in a 48-inch wide strip of dirt. On one side if the foundation (slab) of my house and on the other side is a sidewalk.

The hedge is well-established and healthy. One of the largest plants measures 20 inches in diameter at the base.

I want those plants GONE so I can plant nice soft flowers there -- so my granddaughter can right her tricycle on the sidewalk without falling into those sticky hedges.

My husband thinks he could just hook up his garden tractor and pull them out, but it sounds risky to me. I don't want to damage the foundation or sidewalk.

I would be nice if those plants just died, but it's not likely.

BG Shoe
shoemake@glade.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:49 pm 

You most likely have chinese holly. The only thing sharper and nastier is a dead, dried up leaf of chinese holly which will go thru leather gloves. I know.
I doubt the garden tractor has the power to pull these plants out. I would use a chain saw to cut them at the ground level and then dig the roots out.
I don't know where you live (hint: update your profile) so I can't give you more advise.
Tony M