It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rose of Sharon
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:05 pm 

My aunt gave me cuttings from Rose of Sharon. I think it is in the hibiscus family. Can it be grown from cuttings? :? If so, should I wait for it to root in a pot or should I place it directly in the soil? :?: I have it in pure potting soil now. I live in zone 8b.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:52 pm 

If you want to root it and plant it in the ground this year, it will be tough, because by the time it develops a good root system, it's going to be hot hot hot here, and will probably suffer when you transplant it into the ground. You could try rooting it and let it stay in a pot until Fall, then transplant it into the ground when it starts cooling off in mid or late September. The best luck I have had with rooting cuttings was when I rooted some grapes last year. I used tall but narrow plastic bags (similar to the ones that roses come packaged in). I filled the bag about 3/4 full with a good quality potting soil, and stuck the cuttings down into the soil, with the stems sticking out of the top of the bag. I pulled the top of the bags similar to the way you do a bread bag, and used a wire tie loosely, so that air and water could move around the cuttings. I punched a few small aeration holes in the upper portion of the bags, in the air space above the level of the potting soil. The cuttings started growing roots pretty quickly. You will probably get some better advice from others on this site, because I am a novice at rooting from cuttings, but it was simple and did work for me. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:50 pm 

I took a couple of cuttings from my Rose of Sharon last month; it is really better to do it in the fall but I forgot. I just stuck them in a pot with some native soil (sandy) mixed with compost. Keep them moist and not in hot sun. They started putting leaves on about two weeks ago and have 8-10 now, BUT as of last week when I checked for roots, there weren't any yet! They seem to be thriving since they are adding leaves, I assume the roots will eventually follow. The main thing is to keep them moist and shaded until a good set of roots develop.

Post subject: Rose of Sharon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:52 pm 

Thanks, that sounds like good advice to me. :wink: I think I will keep it in the pot it is in now and do the propogation thing you described. It workd for me when I was attempting to root bougainvillea. It rooted alright, but did not prosper after transplanting. Fortunately, I have a source of cuttings for this ROS, so if at first I don't succeed, I shall try, try again. (Maybe I will try again with bougainvillea, as well. Can't hurt. :)

Thanks, again
PS to Dragonfly:
"when it starts to cool down in mid September :shock: You must be new to this area :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:49 pm 

Nope, not new to this area. Grew up just West of Dallas, but to me, "cooling off" means in the low to mid 90's. By the end of September, the days are hot but tolerable, and the nights are getting pretty cool.