It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Iris Help.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:16 pm 

I transplanted some Iris's that were given to my wife by a friend at her office. So I know absolutely nothing about them. I transplanted them to a sunny flowerbed that I prepared with green sand, dried molasses and organic fertilizer. The soil is nice and dark and easy to work. After transplanting I trimmed the leaves some because they were very long. I cut them at angles as I thought I was supposed to. Now they are just kind of limping along and the leaves are turning brown at the tips and some have died all together.

Help!

Chad Wilson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:41 pm 

How deep did you plant them? Irises have a shallow root system, and you need to plant the corms (? think that's what they are called) not too far below ground level. Also, I would cut the leaves almost down to ground level. Irises are usually very tough plants, and will probably survive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:00 pm 

I planted them so that the bottom most green of the Iris Leaves are about 1/2 inch or so above the soil. The rhizomes were pretty large so in order get the support for the plant and the bottom most green of the leaves at a 1/2 or so the total depth varied. but from the surface to the top of the Rhizomes maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch maybe a little more.

I was really hoping not to have to cut them to the ground. I was hoping to see some growth from them this year.

Thanks,
Chad

Post subject: IRIS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:48 pm 

I have heard of minerals & soil additives to change flower color. It is possible that your soil caused the flowers to change colors. Do a web search for additional info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:49 pm 

Wrong thread KHWOZ, you are looking for the Iris Color Change thread. Thanks for the info though. :D :P Just out of curiosity do you know what might the problem with my Irises? :?

Post subject: Irises
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:51 am 

Hey Chad -
My grandma's irises liked compost and moist (but not wet) soil. Did you mulch them well? Did you give them a stimulant like seaweed when you put them in the ground? Did you water them every day for the first three days? They like all that stuff. Give it a shot. I think maybe you bured them a little too high but if you add some compost at the top and some nice mulch they will be much happier. Don't think this is the premium time to transplant them...not many plants like to be moved when they are flowering. Hope that helps!

Kathe

Post subject: iris
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:57 am 

Cwilson, thanks for pointing out my blunder. I guess I was still thinking about the color thread ?? I think your Iris' are going to be OK. You transplanted them at the wrong time. Don't overdo the watering; once they get their roots going, they will be fine. I've seen them grow in almost any soil.

Post subject: Re: Irises
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:54 am 

Kathe Kitchens wrote:
Hey Chad -
My grandma's irises liked compost and moist (but not wet) soil. Did you mulch them well? Did you give them a stimulant like seaweed when you put them in the ground? Did you water them every day for the first three days? They like all that stuff. Give it a shot. I think maybe you bured them a little too high but if you add some compost at the top and some nice mulch they will be much happier. Don't think this is the premium time to transplant them...not many plants like to be moved when they are flowering. Hope that helps!

Kathe

:( As far as the time of transplant it really wasn't my choice as I said they were given to me. I figured I had best get them in the ground ASAP I transplanted them about a month ago. I have not mulched since planting them because I considering seeding the middle of the same bed with flowers so I was worried that the mulch would prevent them from coming up. I did water them daily for the first few days and I used Garrett Juice rather than just Seaweed. I will probably add some more compost and put some mulch down. I just put down 30 bags of cedar mulch along my house so I will have to get some more to mulch the Iris bed. :shock: I will just plant some flowers rather than seeding since I am a little late to do that.

KHWOZ wrote:
Cwilson, thanks for pointing out my blunder. I guess I was still thinking about the color thread ?? I think your Iris' are going to be OK. You transplanted them at the wrong time. Don't overdo the watering; once they get their roots going, they will be fine. I've seen them grow in almost any soil.

No problem. :D I water them for an hour fairly infrequently.

Thanks,
Chad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:00 pm 

I've transplanted irises in June before and had no problem. Like I said, they are generally very tough plants, and I agree they will grow in just about any soil.