It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: White flies on gardenias
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:03 am 

I have lots of white flies on my gardenias. I sprayed yesterday with pepper spray and Garrett juice...they are still there :( Does anyone know how often I need to spray to get rid of them...also,can I use ladybugs after spraying with those solutions. I am new to this organic stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:55 am 

HG's Organic Manual says to spray Garrett Juice plus Garlic Tea. I haven't tried yet. I'm going to see if it works for my gardenia too. Now when I think about it it seems like I see much less white flies after I sprayed all plants in the patio with a simple diluted Garrett Juice as a foliage fertilizer. Maybe that worked. Let me know how it goes. I have a gardenia in a pot but I didn't realize where the white flies are coming from until I saw your post. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:43 pm 

I had white flies around my rock roses last year. Then I read in an issue of the Dirt (I think) that white flies are drawn to plants with low phosphate levels in the soil. And, HG recommended soft rock phosphate as a soil ammendment for this problem.

I went to North Haven Gardens to purchase the rock phosphate and they asked me what I was going to use it for. I told them, and they said they usually recommend it for white fly problems on gardenias.

Give it a try.