It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:40 pm 

Hello,

I am interested in growing some kind of vine that will climb the brick in the front of my house. What is recomended that would be good even during the hot Texas heat? I water regularly. I have mostly white rock soil with a little top soil. The front of my house faces South so it will get partial shade. I am looking for something that will hopefully last with having to be replanted every year.

I have noticed that the Ivy can damage the bricks, can anyone tell me a little more about that?

Thanks!
Russell Patterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:58 pm 

As the saying goes...be careful what you ask for you just might get it. Virginia Creeper is native to this area and as such it is prolific. When we bought our house it was all over the front of the house. I don't know if the previous homeowner planted it, or if it was volunteer. The look was very nice, but not to my liking, so it was one of my first yard project to attempt to remove it. It removed from the brick very easily, and the brick showed no apparent damage. To make a long story short, I am still removing it, not from the house, but in the beds in the front of the house. I am pretty sure that HG likes the plant and mine seemed to be both drought tolerant and insect and disease resistant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:49 am 

I've never personally planted ivy on the house, but I have heard in multiple places that you should never grow ivy of any kind on brick. Apparently it causes the mortar to break down and can severely discolor the brick. I know my grandmother had ivy growing all over her house in Shamrock, Texas and over the years it had really done a number on the brick. So you might want to do some further research before you take this step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:55 pm 

Trelisses spaced away from your brick will prevent most Ivy from cracking the brick.

My english Ivy does great. I have heard HG sing the praises of persian Ivy. Also some one on this forum (I don't remember who) suggested Carolina Jessimine to me for a shade feture in the full sun part of my back yard. At first I did not want to use it because it is highly poisonous if swallowed. Then my wife informed me that our kids don't normally chew on my plants. So, I tried it. Man, it is fantastic. I'm anxious to see how it does over the winter..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:43 pm 

English ivy is great and is extremely tough. We planted about 10 plants from 4" containers on a steep creek bank on our property about 14 years ago. They never get watered except when it rains. Because they are not pampered, they don't grow as fast as they would otherwise, but they survived and are spreading up and down the creek bank. It's nice to have greenery there during the Winter months.