It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tomatoes Won't Ripen
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:34 am 

I have beautiful green tomatoes that are the right size, but I have been waiting for a couple of weeks for them to ripen. The flowers on both of my plants also started dropping, which I understand could be due to the heat. I spray with Garrett Juice weekly and treated with cornmeal. The soil was also properly prepared. They are staked, but not caged. There are no signs of harmful insects or disease. My other crops are producing happily. Is there something I've missed? Please help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:24 pm 

Maybe a delay due to all the cloudy weather we have had lately? Don't know for sure, but I would just keep waiting. They eventually have to do something. I have good-sized tomatoes that are still just green also, but I don't worry about it. I assume they will ripen when it's time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:10 am 

Windy,we have a garden full that has had green tomatoes for probably a month and they are now just starting to slowly starting to ripen. I was about ready to pull my hair out. Patience, some varieties are slower than others as I have found out. My wife asked Howard on his show a couple of weeks ago and he said it was the unseasonably cool weather that we have been enjoying. Just hang in there.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:24 pm 

Thanks so much. This is my first garden since I moved here from up north. Just need to get used to Texas gardening. I'll be patient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:02 am 

I planted my tomatoes in April and they're about 6 ft. tall and loaded with full-size fruit. I can't wait...but I'll have to because it'll probably be another 3 weeks or so before they start ripening. That's the wau it was last year. They'll get there!

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 9:13 pm 

I also have atleast fifty very green tomatoes, then about six that have actually ripened and I ate.
The cloudy weather we had for a while is what I was thinking. Plus they are getting bigger and bigger. I figure with some more patience I'll have so many ripe tomatoes that I just might get tired of them. Or just up my BLTs, sauces and salad mixes. I just know they are all going to ripen at once, and I'll have to eat tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner! :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Fried Green Tomatoes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:38 pm 

Waiting for them to ripen? Heck, you guys ought to be enjoying the green tomatoes fried! If you haven't ever had them, they're delicious! Cut them in thick slices, dab them in a mix of flour, salt & pepper, a little cornmeal, and then brown them in a pan of your choice of organic oils. Drain on a paper towel and enjoy! A little ranch & herb dipping sauce goes a long way to making them extra good. Live a little! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:45 pm 

Kathe Kitchens,
You sound just like my sister. "Fry those tomatoes!!"
:lol: :lol:

I'll admit they are delicious. You may have just talked me into a side dish for dinner. :wink: Or better yet, a very yummy snack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 5:04 pm 

Your sister sounds like a smart woman to me! Besides, great minds DO think alike! That means you, me and your sister! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:43 pm 

windy
My tomatoes are just starting to turn red as well. I was almost ready to give up on them. Our Texas gardens are a little different then what we were used to back up north. Here you have to plant early in the year or the hot summer sun will do the damage before the veggies rippen. Also we don't seem to get as much rain, in the summer, as I remember back home. Must water more often and deeper. By your name, it sounds like you are from Chicago. Great place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:38 am 

We're so excited about our tomatoes. I made a tic sheet showing how many of what kind of tomato we havest daily. We only have 8 plants; 4 roma, 1 golden pear, 2 celebrity and 1 cherry. We started keeping count on Jul 1st just a day or so after the first ones ripened and we've harvest over 220 tomatoes. We have tomato salads of all kinds every night, as well as fresh pasta sauce with the romas. Just heaven.

Most of the tomatoes are the golden pear variety which is now aver 7ft tall.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:04 pm 

sandih
If that is not postive proof of what being orgainic will do, I give up. I have never seen that many tomatoes from only 8 plants. Great work. Now maybe you can convert your neighbors to the organic way of healthy living. I am working on my neighbors. So far I have one convert and more on the way.

Post subject: Re: Tomatoes Won't Ripen
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:51 pm 

windy wrote:
I have beautiful green tomatoes that are the right size, but I have been waiting for a couple of weeks for them to ripen. The flowers on both of my plants also started dropping, which I understand could be due to the heat. I spray with Garrett Juice weekly and treated with cornmeal. The soil was also properly prepared. They are staked, but not caged. There are no signs of harmful insects or disease. My other crops are producing happily. Is there something I've missed? Please help!

Windy if you wish your tomatoes to ripen and they won't, I have always found that if you prune the roots , most cases about one half will cause them to ripen, also the roots will grow back without harm to the plant
oh put your knife at the base of the plant and cut about half good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:11 am 

Since her original post was over a month ago, hopefully she's not still having that problem! :wink:

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan