It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Vegetable Seeds
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:02 am 

I am trying to choose seeds for my vegetable garden. I cannot seem to get my broccoli and cauliflower to grow like I can buy in the store. Mine turn out stringy (not bunched). I am interested in a gardening club or someone to exchange seeds in or near North Richland Hills.

Post subject: Re: Vegetable Seeds
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:44 am 

Home grown vegetables don't look like what is in the grocery store because the stores only sell a certain part of the crop. They sell the large bunch or crown, they don't sell all of the rest of the florets that appear on the plant after the first big charismatic head is harvested. It's like buying a bag of potatoes that are fairly uniform in the store, but if you grow you own you know that under each plant there are some huge potatoes, a lot of medium sized potatoes, a few really bizarre shaped potatoes and lots of little new potatoes. All on the same plant.

If you check at a good feed store or seed catalog you should find different varieties that have characteristics you're looking for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:19 pm 

northwesterner wrote:
Home grown vegetables don't look like what is in the grocery store because the stores only sell a certain part of the crop. They sell the large bunch or crown, they don't sell all of the rest of the florets that appear on the plant after the first big charismatic head is harvested. It's like buying a bag of potatoes that are fairly uniform in the store, but if you grow you own you know that under each plant there are some huge potatoes, a lot of medium sized potatoes, a few really bizarre shaped potatoes and lots of little new potatoes. All on the same plant.

If you check at a good feed store or seed catalog you should find different varieties that have characteristics you're looking for.

Thanks
Any catalog suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:55 pm 

I don't usually use catalogs but I know there are some good ones out there. Someone will come along with suggestions and I'll ask a couple of friends which ones they use.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:58 am 

When are you planting your broccoli?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:34 pm 

The last couple of seasons I have bought plants already started from the big box store down the road. I have a pretty tall brocolli plant from last spring. I was trying to look ahead for next year to pick seeds and wasn't quite sure about the time to plant.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:13 am 

It's time now to plant the broccoli bedding plants, you would have started earlier with seed, or you could start seed indoors now and move it out when they're a few inches tall (to stagger your mature crowns through the winter).

Broccoli that sticks around in the warm season often ends up with aphids, and there is little appeal to broccoli crowns or florets that have passengers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:55 pm 

Everything you see in this recent photo was grown from seed. I have three broccoli plants in the middle row, peas on the outside, carrots on the second row from the left and tomatos on the left and ride sides.

I buy my seeds from the Landreth Seed Company and have been happy with them. They have a catalog available each year.

http://www.landrethseeds.com/

Attachments:
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg [ 233.63 KiB | Viewed 14188 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm 

If you are in N.TX, here's a handy calendar.

http://nhg.com/PDF/NTxVegPlanting_fall.pdf

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan