It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:28 pm 

I just checked the weather for North Texas for Sunday night through Monday night. Sunday night it's going to get down to 47 degrees and then down in the mid 30s on Monday night with a high near 55 on Monday during the day.

We are just starting our vegetable garden. Right now mostly everything is still in pots and many things havent even germinated yet. I was wondering what temperature is considered too low and need to cover up vegetable plants?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:55 pm 

If you have some floating row cover to place over plants in the ground that would be a good idea. I am going to buy some of my bedding plants this weekend but I'll put them in the greenhouse and plant after Tuesday. If the seeds haven't germinated yet I'd think they're okay - it sounds like it will just be a touch of freezing at the most, it isn't going to do another 9 degree deep freeze like early last month.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:06 am 

northwesterner wrote:
If you have some floating row cover to place over plants in the ground that would be a good idea. I am going to buy some of my bedding plants this weekend but I'll put them in the greenhouse and plant after Tuesday. If the seeds haven't germinated yet I'd think they're okay - it sounds like it will just be a touch of freezing at the most, it isn't going to do another 9 degree deep freeze like early last month.

good to know. I guess I should mention that these are all in pots and planter boxes right now. We are just getting started. The only thing I have that is in full blown growth right now are some hanging tomato and strawberry plants.

So probably as a precaution just bring them inside the garage? Thanks for responding! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:52 am 

Yes, inside if you can move them. Let them enjoy some of today's rain the move inside tomorrow for overnight Monday.

My strawberries are pretty tough, and Swiss chard and onions don't have a problem with a touch of freeze. Same with the potatoes. Fingers crossed it doesn't zap the blooming iris.