It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:46 pm 

I have crook neck squash and zucchini that are not producing. They are blooming but not producing any fruit.

They have mildew on some of the leaves. I have been treating them with a diluted vinegar and a onion, garlic, and cayenne tea ( for pest).

I have also found slugs.

I have only fertilized them with Epsom salt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:34 am 

Sluggo pellets will get rid of the slugs and or snails and is considered an organic product. Less is more - you don't need to do it very often or put out very much.

Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle (the store variety is 3%) sprayed on the leaves in the morning, or adding some to a foliar feeding mix of water with Garrett juice (or compost tea) will help with the powdery mildew. Every few days is often enough for this, and you can dilute the peroxide by half with water and it's still effective.

Squash tend to put out male flowers first, then start putting out the female (you'll see the ovary, or squash shaped base of the female flowers). You may be in early days yet. My squash get clobbered by the vine borer most often - it's a struggle to keep them at bay here in Texas. Don't overwater your squash, water deeply and less frequently, and if they are in slightly raised beds that helps the drainage. You may want to make a corn meal tea or sprinkle ground cornmeal or corn gluten meal around also - corn is found to have anti-fungal properties. The Cornmeal Juice recipe is near the top of the Homemade Organic Recipes page.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:21 am 

Thank you. Where is the best place to purchase corn gluten meal online? I can't find any at my local feed stores.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:50 am 

Also, give them a balance fertilizer!! Epsom salt only is not the answer. Powdery mildew is caused by the leaves staying too wet for too long. Make sure you water in the morning so the leaves can quickly dry during the day.

You need to use potassium bicarbonate for powdery mildew.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan