It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:18 pm 

I live in the Chicagoland area and am growing a variety of potted plants (Tomatoes, Cucumbers, and the like). I have two kinds of potted peppers in separate pots: Super Chili's and Pequin. The Super Chili's are blooming nicely and have have many peppers growing. The pequin however, is not blooming at all, and I'm trying to figure out if I'm impatient or if there's something wrong.

I bought the Pequin from a local famers market where they sell starter tomato plants, and the like. So it was about 4-6 inches tall when I bought it and then transplanted it to a larger pot - the same kind of pot and soil I used for the super hot peppers. I planted on Memorial Day, since here, that's when you're assured of being safe from frost. It is now early July, and the pequin plant looks marvelous - it looks strong, very green, sturdy stems and leaves... but no blooms, and thus no peppers. It currently stands at 22 inches tall.

All of the potted plants are outside and get at least 6 hours of sun a day. Since I don't have experience with pequins, I thought I would ask for advice on my expectations for blooming. I mean, I have read that they are a hearty plant, and don't require much care. Shouldn't they be producing fruit by now?

Attachments:
File comment: Pequin plant with Super Chili plant behind it.
Pequin IMAG0500red.jpg
Pequin IMAG0500red.jpg [ 170.35 KiB | Viewed 7375 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:34 am 

I don't have experience with that type of peppers, but I grow a number of other varieties. This year I started every bedding plant with a dollop of mashed up mackerel (out of cans) in each hole. The result is very healthy plants but it does take them a little longer to put out the blooms because they were busy growing stems and leaves. I don't give them any more fertilizer now, except a little via foliar feeding.

Your foliage looks great. If you have fertilized a little too much it might be slowing the fruit production. I don't think there is anything you can do except not fertilize any more for a while.