It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:10 pm 

We are taking our first shot at growing black-eyed peas and green beans. Since planting them May 15, we only have vines and leaves. No sign of peas/beans yet. We foliar feed with compost tea with molasses and seaweed and fertilize with a granular 9-12-12. What are we doing wrong? We were expecting produce in 60+ days.
Thanks, Tricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:41 am 

60 days is a little quick for peas and beans. They should be trying to bloom now. Also, cowpeas don't need alot of fertility. I always plant mine on the poorest soil I have and always makea good crop. I have tried to grow them in good black clay soil, and they always go to vine. Plant them in sandy soil, they always make.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:59 pm 

triciab wrote:
We are taking our first shot at growing black-eyed peas and green beans. Since planting them May 15, we only have vines and leaves. No sign of peas/beans yet. We foliar feed with compost tea with molasses and seaweed and fertilize with a granular 9-12-12. What are we doing wrong? We were expecting produce in 60+ days.
Thanks, Tricia

Tricia: I have found that green beans do best being planted by early March in North TX area, I am still pulling some this week but the majority were picked mid May thru late June. Plants are now withering due to heat. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:56 pm 

Thanks for the input. Yes, we do see a few pods on the cow peas, but still nothing from the green beans. Perhaps they'll come along soon. However, we will remember next year to plant in March. We may well have waited too late. Also, our soil is clearly too rich for the cow peas. I'll remember that next year, too. The prepared beds don't have lousy soil, but I can fix that next year in the pots. Thanks again.
Tricia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:01 pm 

I neglected to mention that green beans and peas can also be planted for your fall garden. Approx late Sep't barring extended 95+ temperatures, you can re-plant and have veggies to eat before the first frost in Dallas area. Try it, fall gardening is actually more enjoyable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:50 am 

That's encouraging. We'll try that. Thanks.
Tricia