It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:52 pm 

How much do I need to water my tomatoes, cucumbers and cantaloupe this time of year in Texas? I live in Flower Mound (near Dallas) and temps are starting to hit mid to high 90s. I plant a garden every year and never seem to get a real good harvest, due to too much watering I think. My plants always look green and lush, just not much fruit. However, I have such a hard time NOT WATERING when I look out there at 3:00 and see the cucumber leaves wilting in the heat. I also seem to get bugs really quickly if the plants aren't watered, especially those little tiny blackish green worms that roll up into the tomato leaves.

So, how much do you fellow Dallasites water this time of year.

Thanks so much,
Wendy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:26 am 

I can speak for the tomatoes only....first, make sure you've got at least 2 inches of mulch and that your plants are in a lot of compost which drains well but also reatins moisture. Usually in the hottest part of the summer I water every 3 days. I can tell I need to water by sticking my finger several inches into the soil next to the plants. If it feels moist, I may wait another day. Of course, plants in pots will dry out much quicker and may need to be watered every day. You have to get in there and feel the dirt!

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:27 am 

One last comment...you should never water on a schedule...water when it's needed only.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:45 pm 

They sell "moisture meters" at home depot now that give the moisture levels on a scale of 1-4. It is useful for the yard also. I think it was about 6 bucks.

It really helps because you can put it in house plants and slowly water and watch when it hits the line you want to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:34 pm 

During July and August, I usually water two times weekly, and sometimes only weekly for the tomatoes. I give everything a good soaking on Monday and Thursday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:25 pm 

I had serious wilting problems last year in my raised vegetable garden. This year things look much better. Here's what I did...

First off my soil was the biggest problem. It was very sandy and had no ability to retain water. I added lots of compost and lava sand to crank up it's ability to hold water.

I then added about 6 inches of mulch at the beginning of the year to make sure that water stays in.

Right now I can almost go an entire week without watering my tomato and pepper plants. I did have a small pepper plant that was having trouble keeping moisture in the peppers, but I think that was because it was young and the root system wasn't very well developed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:48 am 

Living in the grand ole state of Texas home of the MIGHTY DALLAS COWBOYS, and remembering every where I have been in Texas I have only seen sandy loam or sandy soil there so your key is to add compost, compost and more compost.
Plants really only need one inch of water a week. but if your soil is of sandy loam then your water is just draining away. you must have a good compost based soil to plant in

Post subject: Watering to Best Effect
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:04 pm 

Let me add something to this: foliar feed your plants!
They will retain moisture better, withstand the heat beautifully, and give you a more succulent and tasty harvest.

Seaweed is great, compost tea with molasses is great, combining the two is better. Or use Bioform or Garrett Juice, but foliar feed and you will boost the health and vitality of your crop any all your plants. This includes turf and trees, if you will foliar feed once every two weeks. In the deepest hottest summer, once a week makes the most remarkable difference.

In the clay soil you probably have, watering twice a week while it's hot should do the trick. Foliar feed them too and they'll thrive on that schedule. Just a misting is all it takes.

Happy gardening!
:D Kathe