It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Container Fruit Trees
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:59 am 

Is it possible and most importantly reasonable, to grow dwarf peach trees in a large clay pot on the patio? If so, what should I know about dos and don'ts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:41 pm 

spltx,

I don't know about dwarf peach trees, but I have a friend that has an "ornamental" (for lack of know the exact species) orange tree in a pot. He has had this tree for over 25 years. It has been moved to and from several apartments and two houses. It has survived all of those moves and all of the winters outside on a patio. I can't think of a single year that it hasn't produced fruit. Buy one, try it and let us know if it bears fruit.

Post subject: patio tree
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:39 pm 

An ornamental orange?? That sounds interesting. I already have some trees in pots, one being a Japanese Maple. Also have a red hibiscus that I bought 3 years ago as a small standard. Have "carried it over" each winter and now it is HUGE. I'm not sure how I am going to handle it this winter as I don't know where I might be able to put it the size it is.

This is my first year to do organic and it has not been a good one. I have battled spider mites and they have won and mealy bugs. I have just started finding mealy bugs on both my hibiscus after battling them on a couple of coleus and impatients. I don't know how to get rid of them. Used some "Safer" spray, but it just kind of slowed them down. Now I "smash" them and clip any branches or buds that show evidence of them, but they aren't going away. My rose that has always looked like something out of a catalog has been plagued with black spot this year and I can't get rid of that either. It is a standard in a pot.

Anyway, thanks for the info about the ornamental. Might be something fun to try