It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: a new tree
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:44 am 

OK...I planted spinach, lettuce and turnips and happily waiting for them to sprout....in the meantime.......I saw this tree that has these little pods on it that looks like minerature chinese lanterns. 2 years ago I gathered some pods and planted the seed. They sprouted, but I have long thin trailing vines instead of a tree growing......can you grow trees from seed or do you have to get trees at a nursery? I don't know the name of the tree and have not seen any trees with leaves like the ones this plant makes at plant shed, which is where I usually go to look at growing things. I'd appreciate anyone's imput. Thanks
Kesner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:41 pm 

Well, I'm certainly no tree expert, but what you are describing sounds like the parent plant you got seed pods from may have been a hybrid, in which case you will not get seeds that are true to the parent plant. Does this make sense? It's like saving tomato seeds. Most of the common tomato plants are hybrids which means their genetics come from multiple varieties. If you planted seeds from a Super Fantastic tomato, your plant would have some characteristics of the parent plant, and other charistics of other varieties that were used to develop that plant.

Post subject: A new tree
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:21 am 

Dragonfly, thanks for the reply...that makes sense, but will it turn into a tree, or will it stay just a vine....and if it stays a vine do you think it will have the pods on it? Do you think I should trim it back this fall so it'll quit vining and put more of its growth in the main trunk (?) (stalk, whatever it's going to be......) I don't know where people get this information....I think I've missed out on a whole topic of knowledge :-)...but you know what they say...it's never too late to learn new tricks. I finally found an employee to talk to at Plant Shed and he said he hadn't a clue...he'd have to see the tree to help me maybe figure out what it is. Man! we're going to retire to East Texas in 4 years and I want one of those trees!!!!!
(I think my vegetables will grow better in East Texas than in the metroplex also!)
Kesner

Post subject: New Tree
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:28 am 

Kesner-
Do you have Howard's new Texas Trees book? What you described sort of sounds like a golden raintree. The fruit capsules in the fall look like little chinese lanterns... I'm sure no where near expert-but am trying! We have several trees on our acreage that I have nooo clue...so I walk around w/Texas Trees book.
Patty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:22 am 

Patty,
Thank you for your reply. I am very excited about this site.....you and dragonfly seem to know a lot......
No I do not have that book....never seen it, but I will look for it today.
How many acres do you have? How many kinds of trees have you identified? I think I'll try to research golden rain tree and see if I can find a picture....but it sure sounds like you described. when we retire I want a Japanese Maple , a bradford pear, a rose of sharon, a redbud, purple plum, dogwood, weeping willow and several fruit trees--any kind that will bloom in the spring. :lol: can you believe me? I want EVERYTHING, don't I.
Kesner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:23 pm 

Kesner-
I know just enuf to be dangerous, but thanks for the compliment. Dragonfly, on the other hand, is great-I read all her posts!
We have 20 acres 8 mi east of Bonham & when retired will build there. There's 10ac open field/10ac woods. We have Bois D'arc, locust, cedar elm, winged elm, Eve's Necklace (found in HG book) prickly ash (thought they were locust 'til I got THE BOOK) TX ash (I think) youpon holly, hackberry, eastern red cedar, persimmon, sumac- if you want to call that a tree, a couple kinds of oak that I cannot yet identify, & something that flowered in pink that we can't now find to identify, & something I saw yesterday that I don't know what it is. I like your list of 'wants' but why do you have to wait til retiement? Plant 'em now! (Except for the bradford pear-HG says it's not so good.)
Patty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:04 pm 

Patty,
I know what they say about Bradford Pears, but I see them here every spring and they're beautiful...I'm determined to have one.....I'll definitely need that tree book if we buy property....and I've thought about planting the trees I want here, but it's going to be hard enough to leave w/o having to leave my trees too. I know I'm crazy! This plan is going to give me something to look forward to when the time comes.....here we planted red oak, black pine, 3 pecans, a russian olive that I dearly love(it's leaves turn a kind of irredescent orange in fall.....it's georgeous)uh.... well, our husky chewed it off at the ground and when it came back it had 3 trunks instead of l, but I still love it!!) a sweet gum that died for no apparent reason - lilacs that died also....oh and our fig tree that we bought in Georgia! Have you seen the leaves on fig trees...that had to be what adam & eve sewed together to make clothes.... :) What grows on your property will probably be the same kind of thing that will be growing in East Tx....we're determined to have lots of trees around....and I do like sumack (sp)! Thanks for the message!
Kesner

Post subject: trees
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:40 pm 

Kesner-
My husband too wants a bradford pear & his answer to the short life of the tree is: "I'll only live 20 more yrs anyway!"
Did your fig need anything unusual to grow here? I've seen them & you COULD make colthes from the leaves besides being so pretty. I guess your lilacs died b/c we don't have enuf cold.
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:59 pm 

Gee, guys, you are going to embarrass me, but thanks for the votes of confidence. I'm no expert, just an old gardener who inherited the interest from my grandfather. He grew a huge vegetable garden every year until he died at age 86. I seem to have inherited his love for working the soil.
If you're wanting dogwood, wait until you move to East Texas. They won't do well here. Our soil is too alkaline.
The reason I know about hybrids and genetics is that I have always been interested in the study of genetics and traits, not only in plants, but in people and animals too. My occupation and education are in physical sciences. If your plant is now a vine, my guess is that it will remain a vine. What do the flowers of the parent plant look like? What is their color and size, and when do they bloom? I'm curious about what the plant is.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:19 pm 

Dragonfly,
The parent--that I took the seed pods from is a tree....about the size of a nice bradford pear, but not the nice shape...just looks like a regular tree...smallish leaves....this time of year...there are clusters of seed pods hanging on the tree...they are brown...they look like a tiny chinese lanterns....about the size of a quarter, just small. The tree didn't catch my eye until I saw the seed pods and then I thought I had to have one.....it never entered my mind that it would grow like a vine....I thought like chicken eggs hatch into chickens.....seed pods from a tree grow a tree....but the hybrid thing does make sense...even to my uneducated mind. I went by the house where I got those pods today...thinking I would get brave and knock on the door and ask about the tree......the tree is cut down!!!! HOW DARE THEY CUT DOWN MY FAVORITE TREE IN THE WORLD. It's the only one I ever saw. They must be rare, right? So have I started a mystery???
Kesner

Post subject: strange tree
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:01 am 

Dragonfly-
(Don't be so modest) Do you think the tree could have been a golden raintree? Do you have HG's book? Look at the pics of the pods pg 93. Pods look red but description says they're brown in fall.
Patty
PS-Kesner: I hold my breath in the POISON aisle too!

Post subject: strange tree
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:04 am 

Kesner-
sorry, that's not your 'tag line' that says: "don't know about YOU but I hold my breath when I walk in Lowe's pesticide aisle" I'll have to find who that is...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:31 am 

Patty - that's OK......actually, I do hold my breath in the pesticide isle! Maybe we all do but not too many people admit to it!!! I need a line....mine will probably be something about not knowing one tree from another...or not knowing the difference between a vine and a tree...or????
Other people give you your tag line better than you do yourself....I'm tied up all day today, but tomorrow I'm looking for that book and will check to see if it's a golden raintree! Wow would I be excited if we solved the mystery this quick! Then all I have to do is find one....will a tree grow in a container for 5 years? I'd like to not plant it so that I can take it into retirement with me BUT I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!!
Kesner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:48 am 

Yes, I do have Howard's tree book, and the DFW plants book, and the bug book, the vegetable book, and the organic gardening book, lol. I'll go dig out the tree book and see if I can find it.

Post subject: fall gardening
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:18 pm 

I can't believe it.....those seeds we planted on Friday are coming up already! We planted lettuce and turnips because we couldn't find any spinach seed...but with those 2 things doing so well....man I'm going to go seed hunting tomorrow......Half of what we planted in the spring didn't come up, but here we are in less than a week and I have results. Did I have to join this group to get something to grow???? You guys must have some magic formula here!
Kesner