It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Peach Tree "Mummies"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:51 pm 

Hey all--looks like we'll be moving, not to Center, TX, but to Mena, AR. Long boring story--you can thank me later for not telling it. Anyway, the place we're going to has approx 6 relatively mature, full-size peach trees & there are some "mummies" WAYYY up high that we can't reach to remove. I'm certain they're not bagworms (see, I searched for the info before posting!) 'cause we did examine some closer to the ground--just the pit, w/ a little bit of leathery fruit clinging to it. My HH wants to know if not removing these mummies before bud break will compromise the fruit set. Absolutely NO history on any of the other plants, other than that the late owner was completely organic & sold his wares @ the local Farmer's Market & supported himself doing this. Mind you, this is a small rural town, approx pop 6000 & yet he made enuf $$ to support himself. The realtor raved about how beautiful the place was when the former owner was alive (& this realtor is definitely not the raving type)--called it 'Paradise' & 'Garden of Eden. Anyway, any help appreciated, of course--we have already talked w/ HG about which plants we'll move, but any more ideas welcomed. Thanks.
p.s. Said move to take place very shortly after April 3rd this year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:20 pm 

Everything I've ever read about maintaining peach trees says to remove all mummies and put them in the compost. Look at it this way, you'll need a good ladder to harvest all that wonderful fruit so buy it now and take care of the mummies.
Tony M

Post subject: Fruit Mummies
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:32 am 

Sanitation is very important. Remove all remaing fruit from the tree. This practice limits infection of fruit peduncles and twigs thus reducing the amount of brown rot cankers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:43 pm 

Fall Creek Farms-
Are you growing organic peaches? If so, could you share your techniques with us? Do you have a time when someone can observe tree pruing?
Thanks,
Tony M