It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fusarium on Tomatoes
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:09 pm 

I have two tomoto plants that are wilting up and dying. They are turning brown under the green part of the stems and they have v shaped lesions on the leaves. I looked it up and it appears to be Fusarium which is a fungal disease. From everything I've read so far it looks like the only cure is to pull up the tomatoes and not plant them in this location for 3 to 4 years or to fumigate my soil. Both of these alternatives suck. Does anyone else have any other ideas or experience with this?

Post subject: Re: Fusarium on Tomatoes
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:14 pm 

Are you familiar with the neem products. It is an anti-fungal made from the bark of the neem tree (India). I have found it very useful for treating many fungal diseases on my tomatoes. I also use a whole corn meal drench to apply to the soil around the base of the plant. Be patient...it takes a few days. Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Fusarium on Tomatoes
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:36 am 

I made a cornmeal tea and cut the infected branches and leaves off the plant. I periodically dipped the scissors in the corn meal tea as I worked. I then used a trombone sprayer to soak the leaves top and bottom. I then sprinkled the tea into the soil around the plant. Then I piled clean straw into the bottom of the cages under the plants. Hopefully that will help. I will also spary neem tomorrow. Wish me luck!