It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:50 am 

I have read that you need to apply micros after a really wet seasons or a very hot summer. I usually apply them once a year and that is in the late summer or fall after temperatures cool off. I do this on 120 acres of coastal hay land. Tell me you opinions please.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:34 pm 

Now would be a good time, after a rain. I'm planning to put out nematodes to help control fleas and fire ants. I'm waiting for a rain storm that was supposed to be here today. If not this rain, then the next one. Before it gets hot. (This answer is posted from North Texas in early April).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 pm 

I don't understand why after a rain, I thought it would be better before a rain and let the rain wash them in the ground, but am still learning. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:31 pm 

You have to water before you put them out, or do it after a rain. Might as well take advantage of the rain, if you've got it! There should be instructions in the package.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:33 pm 

I always apply before the rain. MIcroorganism live and work in soil.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 pm 

Read the instructions that come with the package. No point in spending that money and killing them all by spraying on dry dirt and plants. If it says to do it before water, then fine, but I'll wait until after a good rain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:52 am 

The best time for us to feed our soil when preparing a bed for planting, soil can be as deep and well worked without disturbing plant roots. Alternatively, soil organic matter more at any time, add the soil between plants, or just add mulch and earth worms work by letting it be taken down in the soil.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:34 pm 

What would you be adding that the livestock would not already be supplying? Or are you haying the field?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:29 pm 

I'm cutting the field for hay. I do have other fields I run animals on but they do not put back enough manure or waste to keep the soil in good condition without other fertilizers. To use mob grazing you pen animals so that they eat all the grass in one area within a day and move to another area the next day . This is the only way to use this method effectively. If you leave animals within a certain area to long the will continue to eat the same grass because the new growth is tender and more palatable. Leading to overgrazing. I do not own that many animals nor do I wish to spend the extra money in fencing to use this method.. You can not put heavy equipment on fields after a rain to apply micro-organisms because of tracking the field and soil compaction . Sorry for all the extra input but it seems most of the information on here is for yards not farming and ranching.