It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Northern Fowl Mites
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:18 pm 

Hello,

This is my first post here. I've visited before, but can't recall if I ever posted on this forum. Most likely when I was using compost tea.

Anyhow...the reason I'm posting now is the Northern Fowl Mites. I have some chickens that are itching and scratching away. Some are even lethargic and a bit anemic from the blood sucking insects. I realize that diatomaceous earth is one option in the arsenal. But it seems like I have a bad case or infestation on my hands. On another forum (which I would like to remain nameless) they are recommending a lot of synthetic chemicals which I do not prefer.

Has anyone had luck with say Horticultural Molasses and Neem Oil sprayed in coops? How about dusting the chickens? Isn't there a product that's made from Chrysanthemum flowers that might work? What about orange oil, I have a container of that stuff too? Would I need to add a surfactant such as dish washing soap for better knock down power?

Sorry about having so many questions...just want to keep away from the synthetics and not poison the chickens or myself. :D

Post subject: Re: Northern Fowl Mites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:22 am 

Welcome, Dean!
Pyrethrum is the product made from chrysanthemum flowers. It is natural, yes, but it is also toxic. I think that food grade diatomaceous earth would be the best thing for them. You might want to check what you are using for bedding and see if that might be contributing to the problem. It may need to be changed.
Can you get chickens to eat garlic? I wonder if that would help.

I just did a search and found a video on YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgFHJzXTk5c I do not know if I would use ash, though. Spraying eucalyptus on chickens seems like it might be irritating to them, but maybe all right if diluted well enough. Just don't get it in their eyes, or yours! After changing the bedding I would recommend taking your clothes off outside (or in the garage), and spray with orange oil & water mixture before bringing them inside to wash.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: Re: Northern Fowl Mites
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:47 am 

Thank you very much for your reply. I think I have the problem taking care of now.