It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:03 pm 

I am trying to locate the name of device and methods demonstrated at Gene Sollocks ranch tour in College Station recently. He was metering apple cider vinegar into livestock watering tanks for control of intestinal parasites in lieu of deworming. If anyone has this information or could put me in touch with Mr. Sollocks or Dr. Will Winters, DVM, please repond here and email me at steve_how@msn.com

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:10 pm 

Another approach is to build a healthy population of livestock. In that approach those that test positive for worms go to the abattoir along with their siblings and ancestors. Those that test negative get bred.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:52 am 

Too bad they weren't looking at natural DE as well. It works extremely well especially when used with seasalt, kelp and other/or humates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:15 am 

Please provide more info on use of DE for internal parasites in beef cows. Rates, methods of treatment, etc.. Apparently, DE would be active against rumen parasites, but not harmful to the animal itself??

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:19 pm 

Dirt Doctor wrote:
Too bad they weren't looking at natural DE as well. It works extremely well especially when used with seasalt, kelp and other/or humates.

Can you tell me more about using DE with the seasalt, kelp and other? Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:29 am 

You can place the DE in their feed and be sure to rotate you cattle every couple of days as that will deter the herd from needing worming. It is a basic principal used in sustainable farming.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 pm 

Pls be careful to use the "food grade" DE and make sure it does not get into their eyes or your dogs eyes if they are nearby. It is, afterall, like tiny shards of glass although it's shell. I prefer to wet it before applying to feed. ACV and water are good to use.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:55 pm 

We use a food grade DE in granular form, not powder form- it has benefical clay and DE mixed. We top dress the grain with it and have used it for several different kinds of livestock. Here's the link where we get it: http://www.alpacasallnaturale.com/de.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:30 am 

I found this product that might help you:

http://www.woodlandnaturalremedies.com/ ... anada.html

It's a homeopathic remedy for worming pets and livestock. Cheap Stock Images Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:37 pm 

Not all animals get worms. If you can find those animals and be sure they procreate, you can eventually have a herd of animals that don't get worms.

I've read about the generous use of the abattoir to help this process along. When the wormy animals and their relatives are removed from the premises, the remaining animals are going to be the healthy ones. Eventually you will have your own healthy genetics going on. No sense nursing sick animals when you could have healthy ones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:37 pm 

Last year on the radio show several people called about using ground up pepitas (pumpkin seeds) to de-worm their dogs. Setting aside the question of volume needed, I wonder if something like that would work in livestock?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:17 pm 

All animals can get worms. Parasites live in the soil. Parasites will be most active after really wet winters and extremely hot dry summers (drought like conditions). Healthier soils means less parasites and bad bacteria. I have seen this in cows, horses and goats. Just because you don't have the problem one year doesn't mean it won't happen the next year. In the summer of 2007 when North Texas had over abundance of rain people had server problems with goats because parasites (worms) came out of the soaked ground and up on grass the animals feed on. After the soil began to dry the problems went away. I will take any animal with good maternal and ease of birthing traits any day and treat them for parasites.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:33 pm 

Excellent point.