It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:33 pm 

I've known this for some time but Prince Charles has a passion for Organic Farming. I saw a special on it on PBS but it has been brought to light by the Organic cake that was their wedding cake. Maybe he should hire "The Dirt Doctor" to run his Farms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:19 am 

That's cool!

David Hall (DcHall_San_Antonio) and I had a theory once. There was some strange, deep, British guy on GardenWeb, years ago, that was a true organic genius, however he was very shy and not very sociable on the web. He could answer anybody's questions and sustainable farming! Then one day some folks tried to get too close to him and find out his true identity, and he went away and never came back again!

We think it was really Prince Charles....

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:18 pm 

I sure wouldn't be surprised, I figure half the fun of Organic Gardening is talking and sharing our experiences. I hope he finds this website.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:03 am 

I'm not sure you'd want this guy the Captain is talking about. He truly knew his organic gardening but he had a way of making most of us look like idiots as he explained things. I still think it might have been Charles or one of his staffers. As I recall one of his last posts went something like, "Did you know that every time you post a message your computer's ID number is pasted in the header?" He might have posted one last time to say goodbye - probably from someone else's computer. He seemed pretty irate that his computer's ID might be floating around out here.

Post subject: Prince Charles
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:01 pm 

Oh yes, Prince Charles has been an organic farming advocate for several decades and has taken mounds of "manure" from the British (and other) press for it. Still, he remains a devout advocate, supporting gardening projects around the world, and any opportunity to point out its many benefits. The BBC made a documentary about the conversion of Highgrove to organics, starting in 1992.

Here's an excerpt from one website about that documentary from 2002:

Highgrove has been home to HRH The Prince of Wales for 24 years. Here, his personal philosophy has become a practical reality. The garden and farm are a living testimony to his commitment to organic principles, a belief that was sown here long before it was fashionable to do so.The BBC Natural History Unit has been granted unprecedented access to film across an organic farming and gardening year, and time-lapse, slow-motion and macrophotography bring a fascinating insight into the nature of Highgrove. Achieving a natural balance between commercial farming, productive gardening and a diverse wildlife population presents a continuing challenge, but is one wholly embraced here.
Garden birds are encouraged and when he's at home in the winter months, he fills the feeders daily. On a cold January morning, he is also seen employing the traditional craft of hedge-laying and in spring he plants up the newly created woodland garden and evaluates its progress.

Nestling in the Cotswold hills in Gloucestershire, the garden occupies 25 acres and the farm over a thousand. The garden's great beauty is due largely to the vision of HRH in his use of bold design ideas in the creation of the famous thyme walk and stumpery. Highgrove embraces wildlife and the natural rhythms of nature, and offers an inspiring vision for the future.

He sells many products from the farm today. He has also strongly opposed GMO foods, and taken some hits for that. Here's one of them:

It is unsurprising that Charles, by the Grace of God Prince of Wales continues his backward campaign regarding food production. He, like organic agriculture, are both relics of the feudal system wherein even the most basic foodstuffs were rendered enormously expensive and readily available only to the ruling classes.

I hate it when people use the class wars to support their arguments when they won't stand on their own merits.
All things considered, Charles is okay in my book. :wink:

Kathe :D