It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Livestock Guardian Dog
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:39 am 

Currently we have three LGD's, we adopted two and are fostering another. We have not lost a chicken or baby goat in the 4 years we have had a LGD. They are wonderful, gentle loving animals even if you don't have livestock.
The dog we are fostering is named Ophelia. You can see and read about her at www.txpyrs.org. She had puppies several months ago which have all been adopted. She has recently been spayed and is recovering in our home. We have two indoor cats that have not been bothered by her and she has had no accidents in the house.
If you are looking for an inside or outside dog, please give her a look.
Tony M

Post subject: LGD
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:43 am 

Tony, would the dog stay with the animals or with the people? I've seen some that stayed with the sheep. I may be interested--but we have 3 dogs that have been dumped on us. So not sure can take on another.

Pat Akin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:16 am 

All our dogs stay with the animals. The dog we are fostering has been with the animals for several months while she was recuperating and gaining strength from her pregnancy. We just moved her into the house to allow her surgery to heal but as of tomorrow, she will be in the pasture.
There is a cost related to the adoption that goes to the Texas Great Pyr. org. so they can help other dogs. They also do a site visit to make sure the dog is going to a good home. I support and respect all that this organization does for these dogs. More information on the web site.
Tony M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:54 pm 

Tony,

My horses shared a pasture with a Pyr for almost 3 years and I loved it! And when I move to my property, I've thought about adopting one. But, he didn't seem well adapted to the TX heat. Could you comment on that since you've had them for so long with such great success.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:47 pm 

There are many of us around the state that are fostering dogs and I have not heard of a problem. Our dogs have natural shade from trees in the pasture as well as access to a shaded part of the lean to where the goats spend the night. They get fresh clean water twice a day and would swim in a pond if you have one.
One of our dogs is notorious for standing in the water bucket while drinking.
Tony M