It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sprayer and Overseeding
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:01 pm 

What kind of a small sprayer do you recommend for spraying the liquids on small acreage?

Best choices for overseeding. I read an oustanding article at the Noble Foundation Web site about overseeding. For horses, they suggested a mixture of Elbon Rye, wheat, and annual rye grass. A visit to the feed store quickly made me reconsider the annual rye grass. It was priced at $26.95/50 lbs, while the Elbon was $11.95/50 lbs. I can put out twice as much Elbon for the price! Comments? Suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:52 am 

Sounds over-priced. I paid $9.19/50# for Elbon Rye 8/31/05. We broadcast annual ryegrass last year. So didn't buy it this year.

Turner Seed Co in Breckenridge sells annual ryegrass for $.45 lb and Elbon Rye for $16/CWT--for comparison prices.

Pat Akin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:08 am 

Tractor Supply sells a 25 gal plastic spray rig that has both hand and broadcast spraying using a supplied boom. This allows me to spray my veggie garden and orchard as well as the pasture with the same unit. I bought the one without the wheels and set it in a small trailer. It hooks up to the battery on your vehicle with alligator clips. An ATV works great if you have one. The price is just over $100.
Make sure you strain everything before it goes into the tank. The little pump is easily plugged.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:18 am 

I'm using a lawn tractor to mow, pull the homemade drag, the grass spreader, and the manure spreader. It isn't fast, but it works. I use the grass spreader to spread CGM, humate, and dry molasses. I've had success with dry molasses on my pasture, despite what others have said in this forum. Next investment is a sprayer.

Do you have a model number or make for the Tractor Supply product?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:24 pm 

They only carry one brand at my store in McKinney. Some have their own little trailer, some have bigger booms, etc, but the concept and design is all the same. It's made right up the road from me in Howe, TX. I went to the mfg site but the prices were no less than at Tractor Supply.
Tony M