It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:16 pm 

I invite the Ground Crew members to go to the Forum on the web site: www.Remineralize.org to get background on the concept and what we are trying to do. Here is a welcoming letter from Joanna:

Dear Forum participants,

Just a reminder about the purpose of our forum:

As moderater of the forum I may occasionally delete an entry that does not seem appropriate to keep our communications focused on our goals.

We hope through our discussions, networking, and exchange of information to further our efforts to bring soil remineralization into the world- to gardeners, farmers, ecological activists, scientists, policy makers, and all those interested. We wish to further initiatives of all kinds from cooperative to enlightened commercial ventures. We would also like to encourage demonstration trials and research from elementary students up through university levels as well as further scientific research in general.

I welcome you to a lively discussion of the issues: how do we get the message about remineralization out there? I greatly look forward to people sharing information, their experiences and any projects they are undertaking.

Very warmest wishes to you all,

Joanna Campe
Remineralize the Earth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:22 pm 

Here is more background information:

Joanna and friends: This is too long to add as a "thread" reply, so I start a new post. I agree that "fear" is generally not a wise basis for study, understanding, decision-making, and action. However, knowing John Hamaker as well as I did over 15 years of collaboration to raise eco-climatic consciousness, I think he had a "healthy fear" based on a rare in-depth comprehension of ecological and climatic facts and principles, and decades of studying the march of "civilization." I never saw any evidence of dishonesty in what John thought and tried to communicate to the world, which he most sincerely thought was due to experience the roughest part of the interglacial-glacial transition by the 1990s. No one would be more surprised than John that it has yet??? to happen. I think he would point to the additional evidence supporting a current interglacial-transition which I compiled and published in TO LOVE AND REGENERATE THE EARTH, the followup book to THE SURVIVAL OF CIVILIZATION, both free at this website. I think he would say to study that evidence carefully and observe what has happened the last 2-3 years, e.g.:

" '2004 will be the costliest year for the insurance industry worldwide, so it will be a new world record even if we adjust all previous years for inflation, 'said Thomas Loser, a climate expert at Munich Re, one of the world's biggest re-insurance companies. Overall destruction costs will surge as high as $95 billion worldwide, Loster said during a news conference with the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP), citing a study based on the first ten months of the year. That compares to an average of $70 billion a year during the last decade." (Hillary Burke in World Environment News) Even traditional economists should be calling for worldwide remineralization and eco-regeneration. That last $795 billion might have been more than enough. Much is left out of such figures, such as the immense monetary and ecological-climatic costs of deforestation. It may include some of the forest fire and insect/disease epidemic costs.

As I cited in TO LOVE AND REGENERATE THE EARTH, the averages were much lower in previous decades, adjusted for inflation. Hamaker would say that is due to the climate deterioration he predicted to precede an eventual passing of a "point of no return" into the next glacial, due or overdue according to the geo-ecological record. Also at hand is a Commerce Dept. report, "NOAA Reports Record Number of Tornadoes in 2004": 1,717. In THE SURVIVAL OF CIVILIZATION (please read my new intro message in that book) I noted how they had climbed up to a record 866. Temperature and pressure DIFFERENTIALS and total global albedo—and of course soil mineral availability—are the keys to global climate change, Hamaker told us again and again. Nature has been telling us these key factors continue deteriorating. I suggest everyone maintain an open mind and heart to what Hamaker and what Nature have told us and continue to tell us. Study, observe, and learn with fascination more than fear, I suggest, but I think it is wiser to acknowledge some "healthy fear" rather than fall into the trap of denial that the human-ecological-climatic situation is not so serious anymore. I respectfully disagree.

Keep in mind that 99% or more of climate research/computer modeling funding goes to the presumed, still dangerously simplistic "global warming."
Why not comprehensive studies/observations/monitoring of Global Climate Change? Joanna, the full title of "The Day After" film is "The Day After Tomorrow." Dennis Quaid reminded me alot of John Hamaker, a "lone wolf" scientist trying to warn the world of an impending glacial period, who the governments and world citizens did not listen to in time. Dennis Quaid did not have an ecologically-regenerative, climate-stabilizing solution to offer the world. In a worldwide cooperative effort to remineralize and re-green the Earth, John Hamaker did, and perhaps we still do. Why wait until we're sure it is too late? I agree with Joanna, it is the wise thing to do even if the CO2 wasn't shooting up and the climate growing ever-more chaotic. We all know what "**** sapiens" means, yes? Now it is time to be the wise and GENEROUS species, and better today than the day after tomorrow.

~Don Weaver

I think he had a "healthy fear" based on a rare in-depth comprehension of ecological and climatic facts and principles, and decades of studying the march of "civilization." I never saw any evidence of dishonesty in what John thought and tried to communicate to the world, which he most sincerely thought was due to experience the roughest part of the interglacial-glacial transition by the 1990s. -DWtf

Of course I totally agree with what you are saying here. In assisting the facilitation of a grassroots movement and hoping to get the word out in as many different ways as possible reaching as many people as possible, it has been a challenge to create credibility when communicating with scientists and policy makers who have a limited perspective. I feel that through our efforts over the years and with the current global situation, this is much less of an issue now, but still important.

We need to reach everyone in the best way possible depending on whom we're trying to reach. Networking on the community level and doing the science. All of it. Work with the old paradigm as we move into a new one.

About four years ago I hoped to find funding to have Andrew Harley, with his doctoral thesis in soil remineralization and his background in geology and soil science, come from Australia to become the executive director of Remineralize the Earth. I feel confidant that having someone with his background as the executive director would allow us to get funding to do scientific studies and also to network worldwide on a much larger scale. People often ask me why after all these years soil remineralization is not out there in the world to the degree that it should be. It is for this reason this sort of organizational strategy is needed in order to be effective on a large scale. along with many other strategies with whatever resources and means we have to offer.

The Seer Centre in Scotland is having a tremendous success on all fronts. This speaks to their dedication and their willingness to reach out in many different ways. They are creating a community that is supporting their work through funding and in so many other ways. Nevertheless, it is taking a tremendous amount of work and dedication and much more funding is needed, so do not hesitate to support them in every way possible. As a demonstration center, people can go and see for themselves what's soil remineralization can do; it encourages more research and inspires us all, from gardeners to scientists.

Personally, one of the best ways to focus my energy at this point in time is to do radio interviews, since I love speaking with people and am limited at the computer. Any help to facilitate that and book interviews on radio programs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Joanna Campe
Remineralize the Earth

Thank you, Don.

One other thing I think I could add is that making very definite predictions that X Y Z will occur at a specific future date is foolish at best. I think that it is far safer to suggest trends and possible extrapolations rather than definite predictions.

What I can also say is that rockdust really works in a way nothing else that I have used in twenty years of gardening and farming works. Hence, whether it will stop a possible ice age or not is rather academic for me. I have spread the word amongst my friends, neighbours and contacts and many of them have begun conducting rockdust trials with every imaginable form of life from Kefir and Komucha to goats, wheatgrass and strawberries.

Yours,

Andrew.