It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dairy Goats for sale
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:23 pm 

We have two goats for sale that are in milk right now. They each give less than a half gallon of milk a day. It is the best tasting, most nutritious milk you have ever had. Come out to the farm and try it, no strings attached.
This is a picture of Joy with one of her babies. The kids have all been sold as pets.
We have another goat in milk that I can send a picture of. Her name is Autumn, she is a little smaller and brown and black in color. PM me if you need more info or would like a visit.
The entire farm is organic and the goats are maintained without chemicals or drugs. We use herbs and homeopathy.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:25 am 

If I may impose on you for some recommendations.

I have a pasture about 1.5 acres with three horses and a large, deep earth tank. We are looking at replacing the fence. Would it make sense to build a fence to keep in a couple goats to eat the weeds the horses won't touch? We mow these weeds 2-3 times a year. I'd like to eliminate that.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:59 pm 

Hi Pam-
I don't have a good recommendation. My thought is that three horses on 1.5a minus the pond is not a lot of forage to begin with. I would guess the goats would eat the weeds but I don't think you need anymore animal pressure on a scarce resource. Once they eat the weeds, will they compete with what the horses eat? Which will the goats eat first?
Also, horses usually don't like dogs and goats look a lot like dogs. I can tell you that goats need supplemental feed, water, hooves trimmed, worming, etc. You may be swapping mowing for new chores.
As you know, everything on a farm is somewhat of an experiment. I can get you, from a friend of mine, a couple of dwarf nigerian male (castrated) goats for less than $50 each. If they don't work out you can get most if not all of your money back on the open market.
If you decide to upgrade the fencing and want to "experiment", let me know.
Tony M