It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:14 pm 

I want to start a info section in my local water bill newsletter to help with education on organic gardening and lawn care. I wish we had more info in the home depot and lowes on organic gardening . I am alarmed at how much weedkiller with Glyphosate herbicide is being sold this stuff should be banned it has been known to cause cancer and ADD in children and miscarriages yet is sold like it is safe. I am so worried about our water supply this stuff is killing our soil and wildlife . see www.organicconsumers.org for more info. I want to know what others are doing to help clean up our world ? Please give me some ideas on what has worked for you .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:37 am 

One problem is education. Would those people still buy those products if they knew the health and environmental concerns linked to those products? Just tell people that (R)Wound Up harms their trees and they listen.

So....how about printing small "fact cards" and leaving them in Home Depot/Lowes? List the problems associated with those products, some website references and the alernative organic solution along with stores that educate and sell organic products.

One would think Home Depot/Lowes/Wal-Mart (big box stores) could do the educating and selling of organic products. The problem with educating in store is that you have to bash the chemical products. Big box stores don't want to tic off their chemical buddies to make a buck off the organic types. They have tried to sell some organics but their consumers don't recognize those products nor understand why to but them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:39 pm 

A buddy of mine, www.agorganics.com, has been selling a complete line of organic products in 40+ stores in Texas. He has spent days and weeks educating the sales people. I think the average tenure is about 7 months in the garden section. Home depot has a much smaller line of products.
I am a speaker at H+G shows, Garden clubs, feed stores, etc. You probably know more about organics that the average person, volunteer your knowledge for free and they will come.
Tony M

Post subject: Newsletter & knowledge
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:23 pm 

Tony's right. Those who have the knowledge need to share it. I speak at garden clubs, environmental fairs, etc. whenever I'm asked and love that I have seen a dramatic increase in the knowledge level of the average homeowner and gardener.

For your newsletter, pick a topic and write about it each month. Run a private poll and then pick the topic most on the poll takers' minds. There's a ton of good material out there now. The TCEQ has volumes of solid water conservation information. Just go to their website. These people are up to date and savvy about the situation and not afraid to say so.

Hope that Helps! :D
Kathe