It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Big toad in my garden
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:07 pm 

I think it's cool that I've discovered this toad. He hangs out in my flower beds at night. I've seen him many times. The problem lies in the fact that I wonder if I should be concerned about my dog and him meeting? :)
I do have a little fence across the front of them, and I doubt my dog would really notice him (as he is mainly an indoor dog).

I've looked all over the internet to try to identify this toad, to no avail.
I've heard that some toads out here can exude (for lack of a better word) poisonous "gunk" if a pet were to get a hold of them. One thing I noticed is the toad has yellow above the eyes (brow if you will), and he's majorly gray and brown. Does anybody have any clue what kind of toad this may be? DFW area here in TX. He's about the size of a hockey puck when laying flat. Fat little fella, I also hope he loves to eat mosquitoes! :)

Thanks everybody. If indeed he is "exuding of toxins" I suppose I'll block of that area for the dog. I do see the little fella as beneficial to the garden. We will learn to live with him. :)

Thanks!
BTW this site is great! I love listening to the Dirt Doctor, it's nice to find a forum with so much information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:50 pm 

The "toxin" that toads have on their skin is a defense mechanism - makes them taste REALLY bad! Once your doggie gets a whiff of eau de toad, he will avoid them! It was so funny to see one of my lastest rescue's first encounter with a toad - she was all ready to pounce - and when she got her mouth around him, she jumped back as quick as she had tried to pounce!
A toad is a good thing to have in your garden. I bought mine a little terra-cotta "toad hall"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:01 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I feel better now.
I guess I need to buy him a house. :)
My mom mentioned those terra cotta toad homes too, she has a few in her "backyard eden" (as she would call it). :lol:

Guess I need to name him then. He looks like a Fred. No insult to any human Freds of course! :lol: Let's just hope that Fred and Max (dog) don't tango. I think Fred would win. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:38 am 

Our house in Dallas has a pond on the lot next to it and every year we are SWARMED by little toad-lings. They are soooo cute as they bounce through the grass in the yard as you walk through it. They are about the size of the very end of my little finger. We have a swimming pool and when it rains too hard when they are that small, sometimes they will get washed into the pool. After a rain, I make a patrol and have found as many as 25 clinging to the sides of the pool trying to get out. My husband thinks I'm nuts as I "rescue" each one and place them in the bushes. By later in the season, many have been eaten by birds, etc., but there are always several that make it to adult-hood and live in my back yard. I feel fortunate to have them there as I have always heard they are great indicators of environmental problems... no toads probably means toxic conditions. Regardless, I've always loved them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:43 pm 

There is a BIG pond about two blocks over from our house. I guess he wanted to come over here for some reason. :D

Max tried to get into my flower bed last evening. However we had a discussion :lol: and a couple more little fences went up. The toad seems to spend most of his time in the Basil area, so I closed that off to Max. So I think we'll all be just fine.

I know what you mean tfavre. It's so cool to know of all the places he could go on to, he decided to stay here. With the lizards, bugs, and NO pesticides. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 12:40 am 

Yep, that's how I've always felt... Providing a safe haven for them :-)