It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:48 am 

Water you lawn and garden, then immediately apply them. I usually water my lawn again afterward. Do it as early in the morning as you can.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:07 am 

I used to purchase beneficial Nematodes from the local garden centers and I would religiously put a drop of water under a microscope to see if they were alive. I never could see very many and the ones I saw were always sluggish.

So I decided to purchase them mail order from Arbico. I have a 100 X 160 lot and I got enough for an acre. I looked at those under the microscope and they were very plentiful and lively. I used those on my property and had no flea problems on my pets. With my previous purchases they had almost no effect on the fleas and we would have up to 20 fleas on our little dog.

I am now a big fan of nematodes, just not the local garden center purchases. I think they lose viability on the shelf even if they are refrigerated and I am sure the shipping does not help either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm 

I've been shopping around for beneficial nematodes this year. I dug out the instructions from the brand I bought a couple of years ago - ANTidote - meant to cover about 8000 square feet and it cost around $20. But the seller, Gulf Coast Biological Controls in Huntsville, TX, seems to be out of touch as far as getting these nematodes this year.

I checked at Marshall Grain in Fort Worth - they couldn't get the ANTidote so now have a brand called Orcon that doesn't have as many organisms per package and doesn't cover as large an area. And costs a lot more. 2000 sf of coverage costs $28. It looks like another organic solution has gotten the popular retail treatment. I find places online that sell larger quantities but by the time you pay shipping it comes out about the same. And those online places offer no assurance, they don't even suggest that they might be keeping these in a cold place until they ship.

Someone earlier suggested Arbico Organics. They have a number of products that they keep cold and they ship fast, but two-day shipping now in warm weather will push the price up.

Still, they do so much good in the garden, I'll bite the bullet and buy the bugs!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:45 am 

There are nurseries in town that carry the Orcon's Antidote.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 am 

Yes - I think that one is going to be the answer this year. I fear ANTidote is out of business.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:06 am 

Hello, we have been using the beneficial Nematodes from Gulf Coast Biological Controls for several years and have had great luck - used to find LOTS of grubs, but after a couple of years of annual treatments, found fewer and fewer grubs and more worms. Got the last batch from Calloways Nursery in 2010, but now I find they no longer carry that brand and I get 'disconnected' calling their number in Huntsville, TX. Anyone know if Gulf Coast Biological is out of business? Or, if anyone picked up that product? I liked the way they packaged it in small packets with a filter. All I found was "Scanmask" which only provides one application.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:43 am 

I think the folks in Huntsville are out of business or closed or retired or something. I reported in another thread that I'd tried to reach them a few weeks ago. They gave great value for the price, a lot more nematodes for a lower cost than the current offerings.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:19 am 

It is now May 16th. I just put a pallet of Bermuda sod down and I noticed a few grub worms. Is it too late in the year to use the nematodes. I live in east Texas.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:45 am 

If you got any of the rain that went through the area, go out this morning and spray your nematodes. If you apply them after a rain or after a heavy watering, and do it early or late so you're not exposing them to bright sunlight, you'll be fine. As it gets hotter it is harder to put them out, but not impossible.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:47 am 

Thanks for the speedy response. I did get a good rain and will take your advice.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:01 pm 

Just remember that you will NEVER be grub free. The key is balance. If you see more than 5 in a square foot then you may have a overpopulation. Anything less than that is not a problem.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan