It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:14 pm 

I had a professional landscaper construct new beds in front my home 3 years ago. One plant that I chose as an end-cap was a possumhaw holly. The landscaper planted the tree too deep in the ground, and it was weak looking and damaged by some pest that ate holes or slits in the leaves. I decided to remove and replace that tree and start over by replanting a better specimen.
Last fall I purchased a nice new healthy possumhaw, and planted it right where the old one used to be. I made sure it was planted high. It adjusted to its new home and leafed out and looked good in spring. But lately I've been noticing something attacking the leaves again...leaving holes and slits in all of them, but the leaves aren't turning brown or falling off. The tree isn't looking vivacious or thriving anymore, some leaves are wilty. We have been getting adequate rain lately, and I do water some...but not much. The tree is also in a location with some shade under a large live oak until mid day and gets direct afternoon and evening sun.
What is the pest eating my possumhaw, and how do I get rid of it organically?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:38 pm 

Can you post photos - close up of the plant, but also, the soil around the base, and back up a bit and show us the setting and surroundings of the plant? Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:44 pm 

I figured out the problem. In the spring (around April), caterpillars come down from a live oak (and possibly the roof of the house). The oak partially shades the possumhaw. I've observed them 2 springs in a row, but have been chewing on the possumhaw at least at three or four years in a row. Last spring, I was proactive and spread granulated garlic around the base of the possumhaw. Then I brewed up some garlic pepper tea spray and sprayed the tender possumhaw leaves after they had emerged. Within a week of spraying the tree, it would rain. I would re-apply the tea spray, but it was impossible to keep up. If you lived in the Dallas area last spring, we had record spring rains in 2015. Long story short, the tea and granulated garlic didn't work. Caterpillars came and ate holes in every leaf on the tree. This does not kill the tree, but I think it stunts it....the tree does not grow or flourish in spite of the organic program, and adequate moistyure.

What should I be doing to repel the caterpillars and prevent them from eating the tree?

Attachments:
File comment: possumhaw caterpillar damage
possumhaw_caterpillar.jpg
possumhaw_caterpillar.jpg [ 95.23 KiB | Viewed 12313 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:48 am 

Put out trichogramma wasps early in the year.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:00 pm 

I put out 3000 trichogramma wasp eggs in both March and April 16 this year. Again in the later part of April, caterpillars attacked the possumhaw. Any other ideas? The garden center recommended a product with BT, but it seemed expensive.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:21 am 

Bt isn't any more expensive than the harmful products that people often use. The trichogramma wasps should help, but 3000 doesn't go far, considering their size. I would go with the Bt, use a sprayer that hits as much of the plants as possible, but be careful not to broadcast it further or you'll harm butterflies.

Bt comes in powdered and liquid form, in this instance, the liquid in a hose end sprayer, per instructions, shouldn't amount to much of a cost. Thuricide isn't an expensive product and it would only be part of a bottle, I'm guessing.

Last year's spring was a sight to behold - a disaster to many gardens throughout the region. This year seems to be shaping up to be a better year (though the hail that hit a few weeks ago smashed a number of my bedding plants). Bt works when the worms are feeding, it interferes with digestion. Pick what looks like a dry spell of a few days and spray on the first dry day, giving the bacteria time to work in the guts of the caterpillars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis