It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:41 am 

I have ants in my tree that our family has always called wood ants. They are about 3/8 of inch long, red thorax and black abdomen. They are not aggressive, have never been bitten by one, but I am afraid they are damaging the tree, which does have a large, old wound, probably caused by a storm-lost limb. Are they actually another form of carpenter ants, and can they be controlled in the same way?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:33 am 

I had a arborist come out last year to look at my pecan trees and see if they needed any attention.
I too noticed these exact ants on some of my trees. I believe these are some form of carpenter ants because I've seen them eat up pieces of firewood that were laying the ground. They would tunnel and create a nest in the ground underneath the piece of wood, so I knew they would destroy dead wood and was concerned if they were doing damage to my pecan trees.

Well the arborist said they only go into the dead wood to lay eggs or something. They don't eat it but tunnel in it. He told me not to worry about it, but I would like a 2nd opinion.

Now these guys have stung me when I get into their nests.

I'm no expert but am telling you what an arborist told me. I don't recall if he said it was a form of carpenter ant but tunneling in wood like that I'm assuming they are. But he told me it wasn't an issue. My trees are mature and have dead wood in them and lose branches and such. My younger pecan trees, I haven't seen these ants.

I'm anxious to know if these are carpenter ants and would like a 2nd opinion.
-JP