It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:20 am 

These bugs stripped a 100 foot row of healthy, lush potatoes overnight. THey have also stripped a few random nightshade weeds that were hiding in the green beans. Chickens won't eat them. WHAT are they???? Are they like grasshoppers and completely un-preventable?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 am 

WOW.

First question, where are you?

What are the general conditions where you're gardening? Soil type, surrounding countryside, and how large is your garden? What else are you growing, and has this only hit the potatoes so far (of the crops?)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:36 am 

WOW.

First question, where are you?

What are the general conditions where you're gardening? Soil type, surrounding countryside, and how large is your garden? What else are you growing, and has this only hit the potatoes so far (of the crops?)

I am in Texas. I have seen this bug before, but never paid much attention to it - until I saw MILLIONS of 'em!
I searched a little bit online in "bug identification" sites but could not find it. Potatoes are members of the "nightshade" family - right? And we have a weed that is of the same family - they have stripped it too. THey have not found the tomatoes (also nightshade) yet, but I am assuming they'll be next - which would be OK, actually since the tomatoes looked like crud, anyway!!! (See my other post!)
I doubt any organic remedy is available to stop/prevent this. They did it overnight. I will be digging all the bare potatoes today. :x

Our BIG crop is black eyed peas - they grow well in this cruddy soil that we are gradually improving. If they stay away from them, I'll be happy. THe potatoes were right next to them, and they just passed right over them. I WOULD like to know their life cycle though to see if there's any way to disrupt it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:07 am 

Where in Texas? Soil type varies across the state.

That is a disturbing infestation of those bugs - you posted good photos - I hope someone comes along and recognizes them. You might want to call in on Sunday morning and have Howard take a look at them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:51 pm 

FOUND IT! It's a blister beetle - which I suspected and dreaded. Highly toxic to animals and I'm betting came in on alfalfa from out of state. We have dairies and horse farms near me - and I have purchased alfalfa, too, from Colorado.
Evidently they do travel in swarms, like we saw. I swear it was positively Biblical!
The good news is that they eat grasshopper larvae and we have millions of those, too.
As is so often the case: The cure is deadly!
Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:44 pm 

The Texas Bug Book lists the controls for this bug as "strong biodiversity" and if that isn't possible (not in the face of a sudden invasion!) kaolin clay mixed with manure compost tea, molasses, and plant oil products. The Surround WP product might be a good starting place, and add the compost tea and some neem or other oil.

Sounds like a very unpleasant visitor.