It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:33 am 

We put in some raised beds this year - using cattle, horse and llama compost manure and lava sand and scrapings from the bottom of a stock tank that was cleaned out.
Nearly everything in the beds has a problem, the most obvious being misshaped, stunted leaves on the tomatoes (the entire plant). The squash looks bad and so does half the beans. The parsley and basil and one cantaloupe are fine.
The leaves look like they have been sprayed with herbicide - but there's no way. Some of the compost came from neighbors, and I do not know if they use chemicals or not. Soil is moist, not soggy or dried out. The tomatoes started looking bad from the very beginning, but I thought it was the cool, damp spring we had. It's in the 90's now and they still look awful - the entire plants have curly, stunted leaves.
I am ready to pull up everything and start all over. HELP!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:42 pm 

Was the manure composted before you used it? What do you think was the condition of the stock tank scrapings? What kind of chemicals had been used around the tank, was it a concrete tank or metal or plastic or something else?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:28 am 

Was the manure composted before you used it? What do you think was the condition of the stock tank scrapings? What kind of chemicals had been used around the tank, was it a concrete tank or metal or plastic or something else?

Manure was 80% composted, I would say, and I suspected that might be it, too.
The stock tank was dug 15 years ago - no chemicals used around it in 17 years. But this is old clay soil/cotton fields that were farmed until there was nothing left. There are STILL bare patches in the pasture where absolutely nothing grows so I am suspecting major chemical contamination. THAT soil we used pretty much in the bottom of the containers, and did not mix much into the top where the compost is. I am afraid I may have used too much uncomposted manure.
sigh