It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:27 pm 

We have been invaded by fire ants in the house. We have regularly used the Green Light bait with Spinosad but it is not working. They have been in the house for about 4 weeks. We have not used. The bait is no longer produced by Green Light, it is produced by Ferti-lome and is called "Come and Get It! Fire ant killer. We use only a small amount but have been baiting almost daily where the fire ants are coming in. I have also used Anti-Fuego drench. I have applied nemitodes. Nothing is helping. I used a vinegar and orange oil mix to spray them in the house, but is has no lasting value although it does kill them if they are sprayed. Are there any other organic products that can help us with this problem? We live on large acreage but we are only having a problem with the ones around the house.

E2Ranch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:37 pm 

If you can find the mound, try drenching it with a mix of molasses and water. Put 3 ounces of molasses in a gallon of water and pour it in. You might also spray about 10 feet around the mound to deter them from simply moving over a few inches. You might also mix in a teaspoon baker's yeast.

Fire ants collect protein sources and take it back to their nest. When you add carbohydrates to their home, they take that as a threat.