It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Aphids and ants
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:32 pm 

We have very small garden that we started in buckets until we moved and then transplanted them into our garden we set up. We are having an aphid problem. Plus an ant problem now, as we have learned they like to eat the aphid secretion. How do we get the aphids and ants under control? They seem to be more interested in the purple hull peas and our bell pepper plants.

Post subject: Re: Aphids and ants
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:18 pm 

Aphids appear when the plants are in stress. Are they getting too much water? Not enough water? What kind of medium did you plant them in? Are the buckets draining? A brisk shot of water can knock off a lot of aphids, or spraying with a little dish soap in water in a squirt bottle. They'll stick to the plants but they'll be dead.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:36 pm 

As far as the medium I am not sure. I got our compost/dirt from a lady that runs a large green house farm. It is an all organic soil. The other plant have done very well in it. The buckets have (4) 3/4" holes in the bottom. We water once a day to every other day.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:07 pm 

I sprinkle my used coffee grounds around my plants and since doing that, have had no problem with ants, I read they don't like to walk across coffee grounds, hope this helps.

TOL = Tons of Love ! A Positive saying I created in these trying times, pass it on if you like it! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:37 am 

Today I treated a couple of spots of aphids in the yard. I think the cukes in question were getting too much shade (from surrounding plants) and the dill is planted in the wrong place. I used a foliar application of water, hydrogen peroxide, Garrett juice, molasses, and a little bit of orange oil. Yesterday I sprayed some of the leaves with water hard enough to knock some off. I'll probably transplant the dill.