It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:43 pm 

Is there a good way to kill overwintering fly pupae in soil? I have currants and have unwittingly exacerbated my infestation by letting the dropped fruit stay on the ground. The fly will lay her egg under the skin of the currant, egg hatches and the maggot eats the berry. When the fruit drops, the maggot burrows 1-2 inches in the ground and over winters as a pupa, and hatches in the spring. I have stripped my trees of berries and cleaned the ground as well. I'd like to know if I can disrupt the pupae by stirring the dirt and exposing them to the elements? Will that kill them? Does anyone have any good ideas or tried and true tactics for killing the pupae? I do not want to use pesticides but I do need to get rid of the flies that will hatch in the spring now or that may be my only option.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:09 am 

I think beneficial nematodes may help a lot with this problem. They interrupt the soil stage for many pests (fleas, moth/cutworm/vine borers, beetles, and more). You'll need to apply them in a cool time of day after a substantial rain or a very good watering, and put them out at dusk so they're not killed by sunlight before they get into the soil.

You can order them online if you don't have stores locally that carry them. This is one place that carries nematodes and many other biological solutions to pest problems. They often do a spot on the weekly radio program.

Arbico Organics
P.O. Box 8910
Tucson, AZ 85738-0910
1-800-827-2847
info@arbico.com
http://www.arbico-organics.com

"Comprehensive pest control solutions. Beneficial Insects, Natural Fly Control, Mosquito Control, Organic Pest Control, Beneficial Nematodes, Grub & Beetle Control, Insect Traps Farms & Gardens."