It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hepatitis in produce
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:07 pm 

About the hepatitis in produce, green onions in particular: will cleaning in a mild bleach solution do any good? What if I plant them in the garden--do I transmitt hepatitis to the soil? Are the onion sets safe?

Post subject: Green Onions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 12:29 am 

DO NOT USE BLEACH ON YOUR FOOD! If you feel you must, use hydrogen peroxide instead. In watching a report on this issue, I understood it that the onions weren't cleaned properly initially and indicated that peeling off the outer layers of the green onion will almost always eliminate the potential for infection. Buying organic onions would put you in better stead in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:29 pm 

Where did you hear this? I always thought Hepatitis was a blood borne disease: transferred by eating food which was prepared by unclean hands, by blood transfusion or other such contact, or by having unprotected ***.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: onion greens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:30 pm 

I heard it on channel 4 this morning. Very little detail; someone with the hepatitis in Mexico was handling the onions (greens) and contaminating them. I don't have any further info. The story sounded like news hype more than informational.

Post subject: Watch the News!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:00 am 

Sheesh! You guys need to watch the news more often. Here's a news report:

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Mexico has closed four green onion growers - including three owned by U.S. companies - and started a new inspection plan sooner than planned following an outbreak of hepatitis linked to the vegetable from northwestern Mexico.

The moves should boost consumer confidence in Mexican produce and will aid growers by improving the image of their crops at home and abroad, Javier Trujillo, director of the Agriculture Department's division of health, safety and quality, said in an interview.

"It will help in large measure to generate confidence that if something has made it to the marketplace, it's the direct result of having met with hygiene standards," Trujillo told The Associated Press.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration banned imports from the four scallion growers after identifying them as a possible source for the hepatitis A outbreak that has killed at least four people and sickened hundreds in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina.

Mexico has some 22 other producers of green onions whose exports are not affected. Trujillo said the situation has prompted the government to move up a plan to inspect growers on a regular basis by region instead of conducting spot inspections of individual companies and products only after reports of trouble.

Mexico hopes to submit a plan for implementing the new program by the end of the year. "The Mexican government pledges to use its authority to sanction the bad players who are not committed to their customers," he said.

The official said the government closed the four growers in the states of Baja California and Sonora because they did not comply with health standards. "We concluded after our inspections that if the (tainted onions) were indeed Mexican, these companies had the greatest probability of having caused the contamination," he said.

The FDA will send a team to Mexico on Sunday to work with local authorities in trying to determine how the scallions became contaminated, said John Guzewich, director of emergency coordination and response at the agency's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition.

11/25/03 21:40 EST

That's what this is all about.
Kathe

Post subject: greens update
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:55 am 

Kathe, thanks for the info. This makes more sense now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:56 am 

Hep A can be transmitted by contact with human fecal matter. So it can be transmitted via unclean hands, irrigation with sewage-contaminated water, and fertilization with raw sewage. Types B and C are blood borne. I'm not too sure that foreign organic produce is immune to contamination, because poor hygiene can work in all venues. I believe there is some debate about the use of sewer sludge and the risk of contamination or of generating/concentrating new hep strains, but I don't know how serious that debate is. The intersection of hepatitis/liver disease and the de-toxification load imposed by synthetics (even drugs) is one thing that I think about when I encounter the PBO-is-safe talk.

organic1 wrote:
Where did you hear this? I always thought Hepatitis was a blood borne disease: transferred by eating food which was prepared by unclean hands, by blood transfusion or other such contact, or by having unprotected ***.