It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: war against flea beetle
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 6:40 pm 

flea beetle has always been my biggest problem.

are there any solutions to these tiny pest without having to use chemical warefare, biological warefare and flea covers ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:53 pm 

What plants are they a problem on?

Post subject: I have the same problem
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:28 am 

I have flea beetles everywhere in my garden. They are devasting my eggplant !:shock: They also eat on my tomatoes, peppers and bean plants! My melons aren't up yet or I fear that the wicked flea beetle would already be eating them as well! I am totally against using chemicals in my garden. Does anyone know a good organic solution for these flea beetles!? Thanks--Bobbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:17 pm 

I don't know what the abovenamed pest looks like, but something is perforating (like pinpricks) the leaves of my eggplants. They were slow at first, but now the leaves have a lacy look. Last week I sprayed a mix of fish emulsion and orange oil in the garden to fertilize and knock off some of the pillbugs that are everywhere. This evidently didn't stop whatever is munching my eggplant. I have in several varieties; all but the Japanese eggplants are looking pretty peaked about now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:28 am 

Kind of a late addition to this thread. Happy 2004 garden season! I was just doing some research on flea beetles and came across this. They were devastating to my egg plants, tomatos, and swiss chard last year and they're already starting to perforate my new eggplant and tomato plantings. I have found mention of everything from DE, to beneficial nematodes, to garlic tea, Rotenone, and personal atomic weapons as being "somewhat effective" against them. I'm going to try a combination of DE, garlic, and interplanting marigolds, which one source mentioned as a good companion planting to repel them. Anyone have any experience with this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:21 pm 

I'm also seeing the damage very early this season, on the tomatoes I planted a couple of weeks ago. I haven't tried any remedies yet--I'm getting a slow start, with a couple of indoor projects that must be finished before I can abandon the house and putter in the yard every weekend. DE sounds good, though, so I'll pick some up and give it a shot. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:52 pm 

Northwesterner - Last July, you said you didn't know what they look like. Have you figured it out since then? If not, take a piece of white paper, hold it under the plant leaves and give them a slap. You'll probably see the (very) little buggers for a bit before they hop right off the paper - hence the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:23 pm 

No, I never figured out what they looked like. Something I applied (probably the garlic pepper tea and orange oil) did slow them down; by autumn they were looking better and I had a nice crop of eggplants.

This year I have already I put some trichagramma wasps in the yard in anticipation of the caterpillars and worms that munch on the garden--as I said, I haven't done a lot yet, but Howard talked some time ago about putting out the wasps prior to needing them so a couple of generations are in place for when you plant. I realize they probably won't have an effect on a flea beetle, but they're part of the cure for other things. My squash last year were wiped out, so I'm planning ahead! I haven't planted any eggplant yet, but we really like them and I'm planning to put in several varieties.

I have two types of tomatoes, Super Terrific (or some such exclamatory name!) and cherry. One of them isn't doing well, is being munched, and I suspect it is the cherry. Last year I planted the same Super variety and they withstood the munching and several other ailments better than any of the other tomatoes.

Northwesterner

Post subject: bugs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:40 pm 

If garlic/hot pepper spray with orange oil doesn't cure the problem, use NEEM. It is organic & safe to use. You can get it at most any garden center, a lot of feed stores & even at Lowe's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:25 pm 

I have some NEEM I bought last year. Will it still be good this year, do you think? What is the shelf-life of something like that?

Post subject: Neem
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:08 am 

I'm not positive but I believe it should still be OK. Check your bottle & label to see if you find any info. The bottle I have from last year still seems OK. If anyone knows for sure, let me/us know.