It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Thrips on roses
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:01 am 

One of my climbing roses, Clothilde Soupert, has become infested with thrips. The problem has not spread noticeably to nearby climbers (New Dawn, Cecile Brunner, Don Juan), but is really bad on the Soupert. Research I've done has recommended everything from beneficial nematodes to spraying with a pyrethrum mix, to DE in the soil around the plant, to other combinations of things. If nematodes are the right thing to do, what is a good source for these? The ones available locally seem to be specific for lawn grass pests - grubs, etc., and not for thrips. If mail order is the only source, how successful are mail ordered beneficials? Has anyone tried the DE method? The person who recommended this also suggested deadheading the new buds and waiting for the second budding, then spraying with a pepper-garlic spray as needed.

I realize this is a very complicated, multi-part question, but any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to see those lovely pale pink blooms this year, and not just little withered brown buds (what I've had from the thrip damage).

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 2:15 pm 

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/dallasnews.php?id=149
Q. When is the best time to put nematodes in the yard for greatest effectiveness? – V.N., Dallas

A. Depends on what you are trying to control. These living organisms should be applied almost as you would pesticides – after the pests are active. They kill grubs, termites, thrips, fire ants, fleas, termites and other insect pests very quickly. I hardly ever recommend their use as preventative, except for thrips on roses.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach