It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:44 am 

I have a water garden and have discovered fire ants in the landscape in the rocks close to the water. What can I use that won't harm my koi? I have used the liquid mixture that is recommended by Mr. Garrett, but is it safe for fish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:54 am 

The ingredients are not harmful per se but you might not want to use any molasses near the pond. I would be afraid of the molasses feeding and stimulating the breeding of too many bacteria resulting in a loss of oxygen in the water. That would be bad news.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:08 pm 

Further to David's warning about the molasses, the mixture's toxicity to the fish and other aquatic life in the pond will vary greatly depending on whether you use orange oil in the mix. Orange oil--or, for practical purposes, d-limonene--apparently is considered to be toxic to fish and at least some other aquatic life at fairly low concentrations. The reported LC50 concentration of ~ 33 mg/l for fish implies pretty high sensitivity. (It's not clear from the reported ecotoxicity data whether or to what extent that level takes into account the usually-added emulsifier(s).) How much orange oil/d-limonene you can use safely will depend mostly on how much enters the pond in relation to the pond's volume. Also, the published 28-day biodegradation period may not apply for the aquatic environment. If you use it around the pond, be careful.

Post subject: ants-ponds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:45 pm 

You might try other fire ant remedies. One I've heard of is instant grits sprinkled around the mound. Don't know how it works but cheap enough to try! If the pond has a liner and the water from rain doesn't wash from the ant area into the pond, I wouldn't be afraid of using the regular orange oil/molasses mixture.