It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:01 am 

I'm not sure if that's the one that claims to use pyrethrins (and what else?). Even if it is, I think home pesticide misters for West Nile Virus mania is among the dumbest things I've heard. If people want sterile environments, why have open spaces on their properties? I wonder how long it will be before someone like me collects enough pesticide drift data to light off a lawsuit against overindulgent neighbors that use those things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 9:53 am 

These are not at all helpful. They do more harm than good. Any pesticide mist such as you have described will kill more beneficials than mosquitoes. Then what control do you have when you kill the bugs that eat mosquitoes? Not much unless you want to raise bats. Then again, you would not want to hurt them either.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: Mosquito misters
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:25 pm 

Received an ad today for a company called MosquitoNix (www.mosquitoNix.com) that is selling misters using "safe" pyrethrum made from chrysanthemums. I believe this is the stuff that Howard says is NOT safe. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:36 pm 

Whether it's toxic artificial stuff OR totally natural from the 'mums you do NOT want it being sprayed over and over on your property. For the negligible results of maybe whackign a few mosquitos you'll kill off loads of your beneficials, and we know form experience the harmful bugs recoup faster than the good ones when their population takes a hit.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:20 am 

:!: The Ent is absolutely right. (re: statement above)

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:14 am 

The Dirt Doctor said that at least one of the pyrethrin mister packages includes piperonyl butoxide and permethrin as ingredients. If your neighbor uses this and if you have any cats, keep them indoors. Generally speaking, permethrin is toxic to cats, although the toxic dose apparently can vary from individual to individual or maybe from breed to breed for purebreds. The reason for feline toxicity apparently remains a mystery.

If you have a koi or fish pond, you might not have it for long if the stuff drifts onto your property. Pyrethrin is toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms. PBO is considered moderately toxic to fish and highly toxic to other aquatic life. Permethrin is highly toxic to fish and is toxic to honey bees, aquatic insects, and tadpoles, among others. At least as late as 1997, the EPA had listed permethrin as a possible carcinogen, but I'm not sure of its current classification. Under the current structure, there may not be such a thing as a carcinogen.

Post subject: Re: Mosquito misters
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:43 am 

texasbull wrote:
Received an ad today for a company called MosquitoNix (www.mosquitoNix.com) that is selling misters using "safe" pyrethrum made from chrysanthemums. I believe this is the stuff that Howard says is NOT safe. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Their Web site says that the product they use contains "Natural pyrethrum and the added synergist." I woiuld be surprised if that is not piperonyl butoxide (PBO) or PBO and something else. (Basically, PBO is added to impair liver function so that the main poison is not broken down as fast and can work longer.) The Web site doesn't seem to say that the ONLY ingredients are pyrethrum, the "added synergist," and water. It is not impossible that the "added synergist" could be a blended product that contains PBO and something like permethrin and maybe some ever present/never defined "inert ingredients." I wouldn't use their product it if it is PBO; I wouldn't use it even if it isn't PBO. Not to put words in the Dirt Doctor's mouth, but I don't believe he thinks anything with PBO is "safe," and neither do I.

There always is hype about how effective something is at doing a particular task without any practical explanation of what it does to other things. My kitchen, garage, and any hardware store are stocked with devices and materials that are sure-fire remedies for freckles, acne, or anyone who wants a body part removed. It usually is better not to discuss the aftermath or side effects from their use, though. :wink: